What’s the Impact of Local Cultures on the User Experience of Software Solutions?
- 1.7k Downloads
Culture has a direct influence on the user experience. Good experiences should consider the context in which users belong and live, whether social, or organizational. For this, the qualitative research plays an essential role, since it is the one that will give the designer the possibility to know the users of the solutions he/she designs, understanding their needs and problems, process and tasks that he/she performs, as well as the famous ‘gambiarra’, a quick fix so frequently seen in computer systems. This article aims at exposing the importance of qualitative research in order to understand the cultural context of users. It is a theoretical article in which the authors use examples to demonstrate the importance of the research, especially the research that is carried out at the users’ workplace. Hopefully, it will be able to contribute to future research and reflections in the field, influencing designers and researchers alike, in their work.
KeywordsCultural context Culture User experience
- Beyer, H., Holtzblatt, K.: Contextual Design: Defining Customer-Centered Systems. Morgan Kaufmann Publishers Inc., San Francisco (1997)Google Scholar
- Bryman, A.: Social Research Methods. Oxford University Press, Oxford (2004)Google Scholar
- Creswell, J.W.: Projeto de pesquisa: Métodos qualitativo, quantitativo e misto. Artmed, Porto Alegre (2010)Google Scholar
- “gambiarra”, in Dicionário Priberam da Língua Portuguesa [em linha], 2008–2013. https://www.priberam.pt/dlpo/gambiarra
- Holtzblatt, K., Beyer, H.: Contextual Design (2013). https://www.interaction-design.org/literature/book/the-encyclopedia-of-human-computer-interaction-2nd-ed/contextual-design
- Interaction Design Foundation. The 3 Components of Courses from the Interaction Design Foundation (2015). https://www.interaction-design.org/literature/article/is-old-news-bad-news
- Kvale, S.: Doing Interviews. SAGE Publications, London (2007). PrintGoogle Scholar
- Spool, J.M.: Field Studies: The Best Tool to Discover User Needs (2007). https://articles.uie.com/field_studies/
- Nielsen, J.: 10 UX Challenges for the Next 25 Years (Jakob Nielsen Keynote) (2017). https://www.nngroup.com/videos/10-ux-challenges-next-25-years-jakob-nielsen-keynote/. Accessed 2 Feb 2018