A Process to Design a Video Library for Senior Users of iTV
The adoption rate of technologies by older adults is dependent on several factors, such as the identified potential benefits in the users’ perspective. In the scope of +TV4E project, which aims to deliver informative videos regarding public and social services to older people through an interactive television (iTV) platform, this study defines a process to design the video library allowing the access to the previous referred videos. Therefore, this article explores the process carried out to define the best design approach to present the video library. The research was conducted in three phases: (i) video library design; (ii) usability evaluation and (iii) definition of the final layout. Each phase included a specific sample of potential end users and different techniques of data collection were applied. The achieved results for this study revealed that working with older people is a difficult task and researchers need to be flexible, willing to adapt the data collection process to eventual needs that come up during a project’s development.
KeywordsElderly iTV Video library Design Usability UX
The research leading to this work has received funding from Project 3599 – Promover a Produção Científica e Desenvolvimento Tecnológico e a Constituição de Redes Temáticas (3599-PPCDT) and European Commission Funding FEDER (through FCT: Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia I.P. under grant agreement no. PTDC/IVC-COM/3206/2014).
- 1.United Nations: World Population Prospects: The 2017 Revision, Key Findings and Advance Tables, New York, USA (2017)Google Scholar
- 2.Vechiato, F.L., Vidotti, S.A.B.G.: Recomendações de usabilidade e de acessibilidade em projetos de ambientes informacionais digitais para idosos. Tendências da Pesqui. Bras. em Ciência da Informação, p. 5 (2012)Google Scholar
- 4.Campelo, D., Silva, T., Abreu, J.: Recommending personalized informative contents on iTV. In: Adjunct Publication of the 2017 ACM International Conference on Interactive Experiences for TV and Online Video (TVX 2017 Adjunct), pp. 99–103. ACM, New York (2017). https://doi.org/10.1145/3084289.3084292
- 5.Instituto Nacional de Estatística: Projeções de População Residente 2015–2080 (2017)Google Scholar
- 6.Kalache, A., Gatti, A.: Active ageing: a policy framework (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Caravau, H., Silva, T., Silva, V.: Interrupt emission or ask if TV viewer wants to see. In: 2017 12th Iberian Conference on Information Systems and Technologies (CISTI), Lisbon, pp. 1–6 (2017). https://doi.org/10.23919/cisti.2017.7975753
- 9.Rosenberg, P., Ross, A., Garçon, L.: WHO Global Forum on Innovations for Ageing Populations, Kobe, Japan (2013)Google Scholar
- 10.Reis, L., Caravau, H., Silva, T., Almeida, P.: Automatic creation of TV content to integrate in seniors viewing activities. In: Abásolo, M.J., Almeida, P., Pina Amargós, J. (eds.) jAUTI 2016. CCIS, vol. 689, pp. 32–46. Springer, Cham (2017). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-63321-3_3CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Mota, M., Caravau, H., Silva, T.: Designing a video library for senior users of iTV. In: 6th Iberoamerican Conference on Applications and Usability of Interactive TV (jAUTI 2017), Aveiro, Portugal, 12–13 October 2017Google Scholar
- 13.Wharton, C., Rieman, J., Lewis, C., Polson, P.: The cognitive walkthrough method: a practitioner’s guide. In: Nielson, J., Mack, R. (eds.) Usability Inspection Methods, pp. 105–140. Wiley, New York (1994)Google Scholar
- 15.Rosa, A.F., Martins, A.I., Costa, V., Queirós, A., Silva, A., Rocha, N.P.: European Portuguese validation of the post-study system usability questionnaire (PSSUQ). In: 2015 10th Iberian Conference on Information Systems and Technologies (CISTI). IEEE (2015)Google Scholar