Exergetic Optimization of a Parabolic Trough Solar Collector
In this chapter, detailed thermal and optical models for PTSCs were formed. The purpose of the model is to determine the collector losses in PTSCs and thus to obtain the collector efficiency. A parametric study was conducted to assess the effect of some key design and operating parameters on the performance of the PTSC. An exergy analysis for PTSC is conducted to obtain the exergetic efficiency of PTSCs and to find the exergy destruction of the PTSCs. In addition, an optimization study using Taguchi method was applied to find the design parameters that give the maximum exergetic efficiency of the PTSC. The results show that when the solar radiation and aperture width increase, the exergetic efficiency increases for any heat transfer fluid used. On the other hand, when the outer diameter and wind speed increase, the exergetic efficiency decreases. In addition, Taguchi results show that the exergetic efficiency gets its maximum value (50.19%).
KeywordsParabolic trough solar collectors (PTSCs) EES Optical model Thermal model Exergy analysis Taguchi method
- 3.Kalogirou SA (2004) Solar energy engineering: processes and systems. Elsevier Academic Press, San DiegoGoogle Scholar
- 5.Qu M, Archer DH, Yin H (2007) A linear parabolic trough solar collector performance model. In: ASME 2007 energy sustainability conference, pp 663–670. American Society of Mechanical Engineers Long Beach, California, USA, July 27–30, 2007Google Scholar
- 9.Conrado LS, Rodriguez-Pulido A, Calderón G (2017) Thermal performance of parabolic trough solar collectors. Renew Sust Energ Rev 67:445–459Google Scholar
- 11.Bergman TL, Incropera FP (2011) Fundamentals of heat and mass transfer. Wiley, HobokenGoogle Scholar
- 12.Taguchi G (1986) Introduction to quality engineering: designing quality into products and processes, vol 191. ARRB Group Limited, White PlainsGoogle Scholar