Shaping a European Narrative: Eurimages, SF, and the Auteur
This chapter explores the role played by the Council of Europe’s film fund Eurimages in supporting European science fiction films. Although Eurimages has traditionally not been a major backer of sf, in recent years this has begun to change. As such, the chapter examines how European cinema operates on an industrial level through the seemingly unlikely prism of sf, taking in the work of two of European cinema’s foremost auteurs in Michael Haneke and Lars von Trier, as well as the partly crowd-funded sf comedy Iron Sky (Timo Vuorensola 2012). Balancing an attention to Eurimages’ macro-politics with the aesthetic choices of their funded sf filmmakers, the chapter will show how even the most dystopian visions of Europe ultimately play into the Council of Europe’s institutional strategies.
- Bainbridge, Caroline. 2007. The Cinema of Lars von Trier. London: Wallflower.Google Scholar
- Baranova, Darya, and Artur Lugmayr. 2013. Crowd Intelligence in Independent Film Productions. In Proceedings of the 17th International Academic Mindtrek Conference, ed. Artur Lugmayr et al., 182–186. ACM.Google Scholar
- Brunette, Peter. 2010. Michael Haneke. Urbana: University of Illinois Press.Google Scholar
- Burack, Cristina. 2018. Ex-President of Council of Europe Assembly Under Fire for Azerbaijan-Linked Corruption. DW, April 26. www.dw.com/en/ex-president-of-council-of-europe-assembly-under-fire-for-azerbaijan-linked-corruption/a-43540198. Accessed 1 May 2018.
- Canada Strengthens Its Cultural and Economic Ties with Europe. 2017. Market Wired, March 15. www.marketwired.com/press-release/canada-strengthens-its-cultural-and-economic-ties-with-europe-2203168.htm. Accessed 1 May 2018.
- Co-Production Funding in 2010. 2010. Eurimages, December 21. www.coe.int/en/web/eurimages/co-production-funding-in-2010#M2010. Accessed 1 May 2018.
- Diehl, Karen. 2012. A Conflicted Passion. In Europe and Love in Cinema, ed. Luisa Passerini, Jo Labanyi, and Karen Diehl, 239–262. Bristol: Intellect.Google Scholar
- Elsaesser, Thomas. 2005. European Cinema: Face to Face with Hollywood. Amsterdam: University of Amsterdam.Google Scholar
- Eurimages Support for Co-production: Feature-Length Fiction, Animation and Documentary Films. 2018. Eurimages, January 1. sf.coe.int/t/dg4/eurimages/Source/Regulations/Co-ProductionRegulations2015_EN.pdf. Accessed 1 May 2018.
- Feehily, Gerry. 2011. European Press Reaction: Papandreou’s Referendum and the Euro Crisis. Guardian, November 2.Google Scholar
- Financial Regulations of the Support Fund for the Co-Production and Distribution of Creative Cinematographic and Audiovisual Works. 2016. Eurimages, October 21. rm.coe.int/eurimages-financial-regulations-of-the-support-fund-for-the-co-product/16807327d5. Accessed 1 May 2018.
- Galt, Rosalind. 2010. The Functionary of Mankind: Haneke and Europe. In On Michael Haneke, ed. Brian Price and John David Rhodes, 221–242. Detroit: Wayne State University Press.Google Scholar
- Halle, Randall. 2014. Europeanization of Cinema: Interzones and Imaginative Communities. Urbana: University of Illinois.Google Scholar
- Hazelton, John. 2012. Michael Haneke. Screen Daily, November 23. www.screendaily.com/michael-haneke/5049313.article. Accessed 1 May 2018.
- Higgins, Charlotte. 2011. Lars von Trier Provokes Cannes with “I’m a Nazi” Comments. Guardian, May 18.Google Scholar
- Hofmann, Katja. 2017. Eurimages Tries to Cut the Red Tape. Variety, November 21.Google Scholar
- Kääpä, Pietari. 2015. A Culture of Reciprocity: The Politics of Cultural Exchange in Contemporary Nordic Genre Film. In Nordic Genre Film: Small Nation Film Cultures in the Global Marketplace, ed. Tommy Gustafsson and Pietari Kääpä, 244–261. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.Google Scholar
- Kern, Stephen. 1983. The Culture of Time and Space, 1880–1918. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Mr Nobody. 2013. Bomb Report. bombreport.com/yearly-breakdowns/2013-2/mr-nobody/.
- Newman, Kim. 2012. Moon Kampf. Sight and Sound 22 (5), May.Google Scholar
- Pasha-Robinson, Lucy. 2017. Marine Le Pen says France Should Seek to Renegotiate EU Membership. Independent, January 5.Google Scholar
- Schengen: Enlargement of Europe’s Border-Free Area. 2018. European Parliament, February 23. www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/headlines/security/20180216STO98008/schengen-enlargement-of-europe-s-border-free-area. Accessed 1 May 2018.
- Sobchack, Vivian. 1999. Cities on the Edge of Time: The Urban Science Fiction Film. In Alien Zone II: The Spaces of Science-Fiction Cinema, ed. Annette Kuhn, 121–143. London: Verso.Google Scholar
- Statistics Explained. 2014. Eurostat, May. ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Unemployment_statistics. Accessed 1 May 2018.
- Tryon, Chuck. 2015. Iron Sky’s War Bonds: Cult Sf Cinema and Crowdsourcing. In Science Fiction Double Feature: the Science Fiction Film as Cult Text, ed. J.P. Telotte and Gerald Duchovnay, 115–129. Liverpool: Liverpool University Press.Google Scholar
- Ward, James J. 2015. Nazis on the Moon! Nazis Under the Polar Ice Cap! And Other Recent Episodes in the Strange Cinematic Afterlife of the Third Reich. Horrors of War: The Undead on the Battlefield, ed. Cynthia A. Miller and A. Bowdoin van Riper, 53–74. Rowman & Littlefield.Google Scholar