Preoperative Evaluation and Management of the Patient Prior to Non-cardiac Surgery
With an aging population and advances in surgical techniques, an increasing number of patients with cardiac risk factors are undergoing non-cardiac surgery. The vast majority of surgeries are performed electively, allowing an interlude where strategies to reduce risk may be implemented. An appropriate preoperative evaluation when time allows is necessary to minimize the risk of potential cardiac complications and to optimize patient safety. The evaluation of these patients prior to non-cardiac surgery is one of the most common reasons for cardiology consultation. Cardiovascular complications are the leading cause of death within 30 days of non-cardiac surgery. We will discuss how to assess perioperative cardiac risk using clinical risk factors and type of surgery.
KeywordsPreoperative Perioperative Intraoperative Cardiac Non-cardiac Surgery Clearance Risk Evaluation Assessment
- 1.Devereaux PJ, Goldman L, Cook DJ, Gilbert K, Leslie K, Guyatt GH. Perioperative cardiac events in patients undergoing noncardiac surgery: a review of the magnitude of the problem, the pathophysiology of the events and methods to estimate and communicate risk. CMAJ. 2005;173:627–34.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 2.Eagle KA, Baliga RR, editors. Practical cardiology: evaluation and treatment of common cardiovascular disorders. Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins.Google Scholar
- 4.Dalby Kristensen S, Knuuti J, Saraste A, Anker S, Erik Bøtker H, De Hert S. 2014 ESC/ESA Guidelines on non-cardiac surgery: cardiovascular assessment and management. Eur Heart J. 35(15):2383–431. https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehu282.
- 15.Eacts CS, Germany CH, Rosenhek R, France EL, Rodriguez D, Tornos P, Vahanian A, Luis J. 2017 ESC / EACTS Guidelines for the management of valvular heart disease. The Task Force for the Management of Valvular Heart Disease of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) and the European. Eur Heart J. 2017;38(36):2739–91.Google Scholar
- 21.NLM C, Harding SA, Flapan AD, Graham C, Wild SH, Slack R, Pell JP, Newby DE, Scottish Coronary Revascularisation Register Steering Committee. Previous coronary stent implantation and cardiac events in patients undergoing noncardiac surgery. Circ Cardiovasc Interv. 2010;3:236–42.CrossRefGoogle Scholar