Quality Teaching in Different Contexts: What Can We Learn From These Case Studies?
This chapter offers a synthesis of what we can take from the project’s case studies and apply it in Chinese classrooms to enhance teacher practice and student learning. The chapter details how the dimensions and elements of the Quality Teaching Framework are reflected in the teachers’ practices and their impact on the learners. The focus is widened to note that successful classroom teaching and learning is supported in all five schools by broader school strategies and collaboration. The chapter looks ahead and reflects on a changing Community of Practice for teachers of Chinese, where a diversity of approaches and innovation are encouraged. The chapter concludes with suggestions of how the book can be used for teacher professional development.
KeywordsQuality Teaching Framework Chinese learning and teaching Task-based learning Digital technologies Innovation Professional development Community of practice
- Department of Education and Training (DET). (2003). Quality teaching in NSW public schools. A discussion paper. Sydney: State of NSW Department of Education and Training Professional Support and Curriculum Directorate.Google Scholar
- Department of Education, Science and Training (DEST). (2005). Professional standards for accomplished teaching of languages and cultures. Canberra: Australian Federation of Modern Language Teachers Associations.Google Scholar
- Ferguson-Patrick, K. (2010). Cooperative learning and quality teaching: Early career teachers striving for quality. International Journal of Learning, 16(12), 385–400.Google Scholar
- Fielding, R. (2015). Exploring effective and sustainable language programs in NSW independent schools: A snapshot of language learning in 2014. Sydney: Association of Independent Schools NSW.Google Scholar
- Ma, W. (2014). East meets West in teacher preparation: Crossing Chinese and American borders. New York: Teachers College Press.Google Scholar
- Orton, J., Pavlidis, M., Ainalis, S., & McRae, D. (2013). Quality, sustainable Chinese language programs. Melbourne: University of Melbourne.Google Scholar
- Wenger, E. (2001). Supporting communities of practice: A survey of community-oriented technologies. Retrieved from http://wenger-trayner.com/introduction-to-communities-of-practice/