What Should Be the Ideal Control Group in Clinical Trials Investigating the Role of Varicocele and Its Treatment on Fertility Outcomes?
Varicocele is a condition capable of affecting the male fertility potential. The decision of treatment depends on how the disease is harming the individual, but the real effectiveness of an intervention can only be evaluated by studies named clinical trials. A clinical trial evaluates the intervention effectiveness over a specific condition and for that requires a comparative group called control group. There are three different approaches on varicocele treatment studies, and all of them require a control group. When studying the treatment effects over treated and untreated groups, the control group is the one which has not received the treatment. When comparing two different therapies, the control group is the one receiving the gold standard treatment. Studies analyzing the same treatment offered in different points of time consider control group the one which receive treatment on the commonly well-established point in time. Therefore, control group should be the one that best fits for the purpose of a certain study.
KeywordsVaricocele Fertility Treatment Clinical trial Control group
- 5.NIH’s Definition of a Clinical Trial | grants.nih.gov [Internet]. [cited in May 3rd, 2018]. Available at: https://grants.nih.gov/policy/clinical-trials/definition.htm.
- 6.Counsell N, Kirkwood A. Choice of control group in clinical trials: prospective or retrospective. In: Important Considerations for Clinical Trial Methodologies [Internet]. Future Science Ltd; 2013 [cited in May 3rd, 2018]. p. 24–38. (Future Science Book Series). Available at: https://www.futuremedicine.com/doi/abs/10.4155/ebo.13.495.
- 7.Choice of Control Group and Related Issues in Clinical Trials: ICH [Internet]. [Cited in May 3rd, 2018]. Available at: http://www.ich.org/products/guidelines/efficacy/efficacy-single/article/choice-of-control-group-and-related-issues-in-clinical-trials.html.
- 19.Kaneko T, Sasaki S, Yanai Y, Umemoto Y, Kohri K. Effect of microsurgical repair of the varicocele on testicular function in adolescence and adulthood. Int J Urol Off J Jpn Urol Assoc. 2007;14(12):1080–3.Google Scholar
- 32.WHO | WHO laboratory manual for the examination and processing of human semen [Internet]. [cited February 1st, 2017]. Available at: http://www.who.int/reproductivehealth/publications/infertility/9789241547789/en/.
- 37.Camargo M, Intasqui Lopes P, Del Giudice PT, Carvalho VM, Cardozo KHM, Andreoni C, et al. Unbiased label-free quantitative proteomic profiling and enriched proteomic pathways in seminal plasma of adult men before and after varicocelectomy. Hum Reprod Oxf Engl. 2013;28(1):33–46.CrossRefGoogle Scholar