R. C. Beams Strengthened on Shear with FRP and FRCM Composites
This paper presents the results obtained during an experimental campaign carried out in order to investigate the behaviour of reinforced concrete beams strengthened on shear with composite materials. In order to compare their performance, two different strengthening techniques were used: Fibre Reinforced polymers (FRP) and Fibre Reinforced Cementitious Matrix (FRCM) composites. The beams were simple supported and a traditional four point bending scheme was used to execute the tests. Midspan displacements were measured using linear variable transducers (LVDTS) while strain gauges were placed on the stirrups to measure strains.
KeywordsFRP FRCM Reinforced Concrete Shear Strengthening
The first author would like to acknowledge the technical and economic support from the European Network for Durable Reinforcement and Rehabilitation Solutions (endure), a Marie Skłodowska Curie Initial Training Network. G&P Intech of Altavilla Vicentina (Italy) is gratefully acknowledged for providing the FRP and FRCM composite materials.
- ACI Committee 440 (2008) Guide for the design and construction of externally bonded FRP systems for strengthening concrete structures, ACI 440.2R-08, Farmington Hills, MI, U.S.A.Google Scholar
- Bousselham A, Chaallal O (2004) Shear strengthening reinforced concrete beams with fibre-reinforced polymer: assessment of influencing parameters and required research. ACI Struct J 101(2):219–227Google Scholar
- EN 12390-3 (2009) Testing hardened concrete – Part 3: Compressive strength of test specimens, European Committee for Standardization, Brussels, BelgiumGoogle Scholar
- EN 12390-5 (2009) Testing hardened concrete – Part 5: Flexural strength of test specimens, European Committee for Standardization, Brussels, BelgiumGoogle Scholar
- Federation Internationale du Beton, fib (2001) Externally Bonded FRP Reinforcement for RC Structures, Task Group 9.3, Bulletin No. 14, Lausanne, SwitzerlandGoogle Scholar
- Pellegrino C, Modena C (2006) FRP shear strengthening of RC beams: experimental study and analytical modeling. ACI Struct J 103(5):720–728Google Scholar
- Triantafillou T, Papanicolaou CG, Zissinopoulos P, Laourdekis T (2006) Concrete confinement with textile-reinforced mortar jackets. ACI Struct J 103(1):28–37Google Scholar
- Triantafillou TC, Papanicolaou CG (2006) Shear strengthening of RC members with textile reinforced mortar (TRM) jackets. Mater Struct 39(1):85–93Google Scholar