Detection of Irregular Thermoregulation in Hand Thermography by Fuzzy C-Means
From numbness to acral necrosis, vasospasms confining to the fingers are stimulating a wide variety of symptoms. Induced by several reasons, the constriction of small arteries is a severe disorder and should be diagnosed as early as possible. The major indicator of a mild vasospasm is reduced blood flow creating a nonhomogeneous radiation patterns in hand thermography before a total discoloration of the fingers. Therefore, in this paper, an identification methodology of the vasospasms is discussed, through the fuzzy c-means. Since the pseudocolored thermograms give crucial information of radiation variety, we segmented the hands from the images by hard k-means for subsequent analysis of low-radiated regions determined by fuzzy c-means. The isolated low-radiated regions in red-channel converted images also reveals ischemia as well as thermoregulation even in very milder cases.
KeywordsThermoregulation Vasospasm Hand thermography Vasoconstriction Fuzzy C-means Hard k-means
The work and the contribution were supported by the SPEV project “Smart Solutions in Ubiquitous Computing Environments”, University of Hradec Kralove, Faculty of Informatics and Management, Czech Republic. We are also grateful for the support of Ph.D. students of our team (Ayca Kirimtat and Pavel Blazek) in consultations regarding application aspects.
- 2.Parker, L.K., Ponte, C., Howell, K.J., Ong, V.H., Denton, C.P., Schreiber, B.E.: Clinical features and management of erythromelalgia: long term follow-up of 46 cases. Clin. Exp. Rheumatol. 35(1), 80–84 (2017)Google Scholar
- 9.Ammer, K.: The sensitivity of infrared imaging for diagnosing Raynaud’s phenomenon is dependent on the method of temperature extraction from thermal images. In: Infrared Imaging, pp. 161–166. IOP Publishing (2015)Google Scholar
- 11.Pauling, J.D., Shipley, J.A., Harris, N.D., McHugh, N.J.: Use of infrared thermography as an endpoint in therapeutic trials of Raynaud’s phenomenon and systemic sclerosis. Clin. Exp. Rheumatol.-Incl Suppl. 30(2), 103–115 (2012)Google Scholar
- 15.Snekhalatha, U., Anburajan, M., Teena, T., Venkatraman, B., Menaka, M., Raj, B.: Thermal image analysis and segmentation of hand in evaluation of rheumatoid arthritis. In: 2012 International Conference on Computer Communication and Informatics (ICCCI), pp. 1–6. IEEE (2012)Google Scholar
- 16.Mohiyuddin, N., Dhage, P., Warhade, K.K.: Segmentation of thermal images for evaluation of rheumatoid arthritis disease. Int. J. Emerg. Eng. Res. Technol. 2(4), 54–63 (2014)Google Scholar
- 17.Antony, S.J.S., Ravi, S.: Breast cancer detection on thermogram at preliminary stage by using fuzzy inferences system. J. Theor. Appl. Inf. Technol. 68(3), 705–715 (2014)Google Scholar
- 23.Alpar, O., Krejcar, O.: Dorsal hand recognition through adaptive YCbCr Imaging technique. In: Nguyen, N.-T., Manolopoulos, Y., Iliadis, L., Trawiński, B. (eds.) ICCCI 2016 Part II. LNCS (LNAI), vol. 9876, pp. 262–270. Springer, Cham (2016). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-45246-3_25CrossRefGoogle Scholar