Endometrial cancer is the most common gynaecological cancer in the UK with rates rising steadily over the last four decades. Fortunately majority of them are diagnosed in early stages with good prognosis. A pathway to diagnosis is governed by NICE guidance and treatment by BGCS guideline. Assessment of suspected and treatment of confirmed endometrial cancer has several areas of heterogeneity due to the lack of clear evidence. Knowing the absolute musts and formulating the best strategies for the areas of grey evidence would offer best protection against potential litigations. In addition to these clinical pitfalls, importance of due diligence in communication and documentation has never been of a greater importance.
KeywordsEndometrial cancer Clinical governance Patient safety Medical negligence Litigations
- 1.Cancer Research UK. http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/health-professional/cancer-statistics/statistics-by-cancer-type/uterine-cancer/incidence. Accessed Oct 2017.
- 2.National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE). Suspected cancer: recognition and referral. NICE Guideline; 2015. http://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng12. Accessed Oct 2017.
- 3.British Gynaecological Cancer Society (BGCS). Uterine Cancer Guidelines: Recommendations for Practice; 2017.https://bgcs.org.uk/BGCS%20Endometrial%20Guidelines%202017.pdf. Accessed Oct 2017.
- 5.Keys HM, Roberts JA, Brunetto VL, Zaino RJ, Spirtos NM, Bloss JD, et al. A phase III trial of surgery with or without adjunctive external pelvic radiation therapy in intermediate risk endometrial adenocarcinoma: a Gynecologic Oncology Group study. Gynecol Oncol. 2004;92(3):744–51.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 6.Frost JA, Webster KE, Bryant A, Morrison J. Lymphadenectomy for the management of endometrial cancer. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017;(10). Art. No.: CD007585.Google Scholar
- 8.Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (RCOG), Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy in Endometrial Cancer: Scientific Impact Paper No. 51; 2016. https://www.rcog.org.uk/en/guidelines-research-services/guidelines/sip51/. Assessed Oct 2017.
- 10.Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (RCOG)/British Society of Gynaecological Endoscopy (BSGE) Joint Guideline Management of Endometrial Hyperplasia, Green-top Guideline No. 67; 2016. https://www.rcog.org.uk/globalassets/documents/guidelines/green-top-guidelines/gtg_67_endometrial_hyperplasia.pdf. Assessed Oct 2017.