- 382 Downloads
Bowel injury during gynaecological surgery can occur during open and laparoscopic procedures. Most bowel injuries are recognised intra-operatively but when injury is unrecognised or the diagnosis delayed, there is significant mortality. Eighty percent of bowel injuries are managed by laparotomy. Where bowel involvement is anticipated a bowel surgeon should be present during surgery and when injury diagnosed they should be involved early to allow for the best outcomes from the repair.
KeywordsBowel injury Visceral injury Laparotomy Laparoscopic entry techniques
- 1.Cohen SL, Vitonis AF, Einarsson JI. Updated hysterectomy surveillance: factors associated with minimally invasive hysterectomy, a cross-sectional analysis. JSLS. 2014;18. pii: e2014.00096.Google Scholar
- 2.Aarts JWM, Nieboer TE, Johnson N, Tavender E, Garry R, Mol BWJ, Kluivers KB. Surgical approach to hysterectomy for benign gynaecological disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015;(8):CD003677. https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD003677.pub5.
- 6.Ahmad G, Gent D, Henderson D, O'Flynn H, Phillips K, Watson A. Laparoscopic entry techniques. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015;(8):CD006583. https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD006583.pub4.
- 7.Djokovic D, Gupta J, Thomas V, Maher P, Ternamian A, Vilos G, Loddo A, Reich H, Downes E, Rachman IA, Clevin L, Abrao MS, Keckstein G, Stark M, van Herendael B. Principles of safe laparoscopic entry. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2016. pii: S0301–2115(16)30138–5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejogrb.2016.03.040.
- 9.Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists. Preventing entry related gynaecological laparoscopic injuries, Green Top Guideline No 49; 2008.Google Scholar
- 10.Gupta JK, Soeters R, Ndhluni A. Chapter 43: Postoperative care. In: Coomarasamy A, Shafi M, Willy Davila G, Chan KK, editors. Gynecologic and Obstetric Surgery – Challenges and Management Options (GOSMO). Hoboken: Wiley Blackwell; 2016. p. 131–2. ISBN: 97-804-706-576-14.Google Scholar
- 11.Driscoll V. Bowel injury during laparoscopic sterilization – Vanessa Palmer v Cardiff & Vale NHS Trust. The AvMA Med Legal J. 2004;10(3):109–11.Google Scholar