Awareness on Seismic Risk: How Can Augmented Reality Help?
To communicate the importance of knowing the risk of non-structural damage caused by earthquakes, we developed applications based on Augmented Reality (AR) features. These applications run on mobile devices, such as tablets and smartphones, by using their video camera and other on-board sensors, such as GPS, accelerometer, and gyrocompass, from which AR users do take advantage. Combined with a specifically designed exhibit, our AR applications can contribute to increase the common awareness on seismic risk, providing useful information on how to have safer homes in case of an earthquake. Building codes do not take into account non-structural elements, leaving communities at risk of injuries, blocking escapes and even causing deaths. In this framework, the personal preparedness is of paramount importance. The development of our AR applications is supported by the European project KnowRISK (Know your city, Reduce seISmic risK through non-structural elements).
KeywordsNon-structural damage Earthquake hazard Augmented reality Risk reduction Dissemination
This study was co-financed by the European Commission’s Humanitarian Aid and Civil Protection (Grant agreement ECHO/SUB/2015/718655/PREV28). We acknowledge Carlos Sousa Oliveira, Mário Lopes, and all the KnowRISK partners for the fruitful discussions and support.
- Augment Web Site (2016) http://www.augment.com
- Azzaro R, D’Amico S, Langer H, Meroni F, Rupakhety R, Squarcina T, Tusa G, Tuvè T (2018) From seismic input to damage scenario: an example for the pilot area of Mt. Etna volcano (Italy) in the KnowRISK project. Submitted to this volumeGoogle Scholar
- Crescimbene M, Pino NA, Musacchio G (2018) Between perception and knowledge: the construction of the Italian questionnaire to assess the KnowRISK project actions. Submitted to this volumeGoogle Scholar
- EQC Earthquake Commission (2016) http://www.eqc.govt.nz
- Falsaperla S, Reitano D, Merenda R, Benbachir M (2016) Augmented reality applications as dissemination tools for the mitigation of non-structural damage from earthquakes. Oral presentation at the 2nd general meeting KnowRISK, Catania, Italy, 15–17 December 2016. Vol. 33 MISCELLANEA INGV, ISSN 2039-6651, 39–40. http://istituto.ingv.it/l-ingv/produzione-scientifica/miscellanea-ingv/, http://hdl.handle.net/2122/10428
- Musacchio G, Falsaperla S, Solarino S, Piangiamore GL, Crescimbene M, Pino NA, Eva E, Reitano D, Manzoli F, Fabbri M, Butturi M, Accardo M (2018) KnowRISK on Seismic Risk Communication: The Set-Up of a Participatory Strategy- Italy Case Study. Submitted to this volumeGoogle Scholar
- Oxford University Press (2017) https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/reality
- Wikitude Web Site (2016) http://www.wikitude.com