KnowRISK Practical Guide for Mitigation of Seismic Risk Due to Non-structural Components
Good performance of non-structural elements can be decisive in saving lives and costs when an earthquake strikes. The European project KnowRISK aims to educate and encourage households to take the necessary precautionary measures to protect people, houses, and contents. Preparedness and prevention act on community resilience. Within the KnowRISK project, the idea of a Practical Guide has been conceived suggesting seismic mitigation solutions for non-structural components to non-experts stakeholders. It is intended to guide people into the first steps of prevention in a straightforward manner, minimizing or avoiding injuries, damage, and long-term financial consequences. The novelty of the Guide belongs to his philosophy: a path through increasing challenges corresponds to a growing level of safety. The idea is that anyone can mitigate seismic risk in its own environment by adopting simple and low cost measures. The Practical Guide may contribute to increase risk awareness. This kind of initiatives if undertaken at larger scales may also enhance social resilience.
KeywordsNon-structural elements Preparedness Community resilience Practical guide
This study was financed by the European Commission’s Humanitarian Aid and Civil Protection (Grant agreement ECHO.A.5 (2015) 3916812) – KnowRISK (Know your city, Reduce seISmic risK through non-structural elements).
- Candeias P, Vicente M, Rupakhety R, Lopes M, Ferreira MA (2017) Testing non-structural elements in LNEC shaking table. In: Proceedings of the international conference on structural dynamics and earthquake engineering (ICESD) in honour of late Pprof. Ragnar Sigbjörnsson, 12–14 June 2017, Reykjavik, IcelandGoogle Scholar
- Earthquake Commission (2012) Easy ways to quake safe your home. New Zealand. http://www.eqc.govt.nz/fixfasten/guide
- FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) (2012) Reducing the risks of nonstructural earthquake damage – a practical guide, 4th ed. FEMA-E74, Washington DCGoogle Scholar
- KnowRISK (Know your city, Reduce seISmic risK through non-structural elements) (2016–2017) project. Co-financed by European Commission’s Humanitarian Aid and Civil Protection Grant agreement ECHO/SUB/2015/718655/PREV28Google Scholar
- Musacchio G, Ferreira MA, Falsaperla S, Piangiamore GL, Solarino S, Crescimbene M, Pino NA, Lopes M, Oliveira CS, Silva DS, Rupakhety R, the KnowRISK Team (this volume) Set up of a communication strategy on seismic risk: the Italian case of the KnowRISK projectGoogle Scholar
- Petal M (2003) NSM non-structural risk mitigation – handbook. Disaster Preparedness Education Project, IstanbulGoogle Scholar