A Green Load Balancing Algorithm for Dynamic Spatial-Temporal Traffic Distribution in HetNets
With the increasing users demands, the data traffic in the network reveal different characteristics in both spatial and temporal dimensions, bringing severe load imbalance problem. This may impact resource utilization, users experience and system energy efficiency, and then need further investigation. In this paper, we propose a distributed load-balancing algorithm considering this spatial-temporal variation in a two-tier heterogeneous network. Instead of illuminating the spatial-temporal influence, we make use of this characteristic while designing the algorithm, and accordingly switch ON/OFF small cell base stations (SBSs) for improving the energy efficiency. A load factor described with load variance is derived, based on which the problem is formulated as a non-linear integer programming that seeks to minimize a load function. Then a suboptimal solution is obtained by an effective heuristic algorithm. Simulation results show that our proposed algorithm balances the traffic load better and significantly reduces the total energy consumption, compared with conventional load-balancing scheme.
KeywordsSpatial-temporal variation Load balance Small cell ON/OFF
This paper is jointly sponsored by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 61671088) and the National Science and Technology Major Project of the Ministry of Science and Technology of China (Grant No. 2016 ZX03001017).
- 3.CISCO: Cisco visual networking index: global mobile data traffic forecast update 2016–2021, February 2017. http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/collateral/service-provider/visual-networking-index-vni/mobile-white-paper-c11-520862.html
- 5.Hagos, D.H., Kapitza, R.: Study on performance-centric offload strategies for LTE networks. In: 6th Joint IFIP Wireless and Mobile Networking Conference (WMNC), pp. 1–10, April 2013Google Scholar
- 6.Yang, K., Wang, P., Hong, X., Zhang, X.: Joint downlink and uplink network performance analysis with CRE in heterogeneous wireless network. In: 2015 IEEE 26th Annual International Symposium on Personal, Indoor, and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC), pp. 1659–1663, August 2015Google Scholar
- 9.Jin, Z., Pan, Z., Liu, N., Li, W., Wu, J., Deng, T.: Dynamic pico switch on/off algorithm for energy saving in heterogeneous networks. In: 2015 IEEE 81st Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC Spring), pp. 1–5, May 2015Google Scholar
- 10.Vlachos, C., Friderikos, V.: Optimal device-to-device cell association and load balancing. In: 2015 IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC), pp. 5441–5447, June 2015Google Scholar
- 11.Keskinturk, T., Yildirim, M.B.: A genetic algorithm metaheuristic for bakery distribution vehicle routing problem with load balancing. In: 2011 International Symposium on Innovations in Intelligent Systems and Applications, pp. 287–291, June 2011Google Scholar