Leadership, Autonomy and Innovation on a High-Tech Organization
The purpose of the case study we are presenting was to explore the relationship between transformational leadership and innovative behaviour and the mediating or moderating role of team-level autonomy in the context of high-tech organizations oriented for innovation. A case study was developed in a High-Tech organization, from the north of Portugal. The study research design involved quantitative and qualitative methods. However, for the purpose of this paper, partial results of the quantitative study are being presented. From 143 employees who fulfil the conditions needed to participate in the study (members of a team and didn’t have any leadership position), seventy-six answered, which points out for a response tax of 53%. A questionnaire that included three scales was applied: Global Transformational Leadership (GTL); Team-Level Autonomy (TLA) and Innovative Behaviour (IB). It was found a positive relation between transformational leadership and innovative behaviour and another positive relation between transformational leadership and team level autonomy. Surprising, no relation was found between team level autonomy and innovative behaviour. As discussed, this result may be related to the need of maturing relations and work processes, as this firm is young (8 years since its inception).
KeywordsCreativity Innovation Leadership Team High-tech organizations
- 2.Rodrigues, F.C., Veloso, A.: A relevância da Gestão de Recursos Humanos para a inovação organizacional, Special number “Inovação, Criatividade e Empreendedorismo” of Revista Psicologia: Organizações e Trabalho 13(3), 41–56 (2013). ISSN 1984-6657Google Scholar
- 4.Ferreira, J.C., Neves, J., Caetano, A.: Manual de Psicossociologia das Organizações. McGraw-Hill, Lisboa (2001)Google Scholar
- 12.Beveren, P.V.: Liderança Transformacional e Autonomia Grupal: Adaptação de Instrumentos de Medida (Dissertação de Mestrado) (2015). Retrieved from: http://hdl.handle.net/10316/29078
- 14.Gomes, J.F.S., Veloso, A., Roque, H., Ferreira, A.T.: Adaptação e validação de um Questionário de Comportamento Inovador, working paper (2017)Google Scholar
- 17.Amabile, T.M.: A model of creativity and innovation in organizations. Res. Organ. Behav. 10(1), 123–167 (1988)Google Scholar