The Quality of Democracy in Taiwan
Most studies agree that Taiwan has a consolidated democracy. But while the level of democracy has been fairly constant for the past 20 years, the quality of democracy has varied considerably. This chapter examines the quality of democracy in Taiwan with a variety of indicators, analyzes the institutional sources of decline in the quality of democracy, and identifies the challenges facing the Tsai administration.
KeywordsTaiwan Quality of democracy Political reform Ma Ying-jeou Tsai Ing-wen KMT DPP
- Chi, Su. 2014. An Overview of Taiwan’s Legislative Yuan: Procedures and Practices. Presentation at Brookings Institution on Taiwan’s Legislative Yuan: Oversight or Overreach? Washington, DC, June 23. https://www.brookings.edu/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/23_taiwan_legislative_yuan_corrected.pdf.
- Diamond, Larry, and Leonardo Morlino, eds. 2005. Assessing the Quality of Democracy. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press.Google Scholar
- Drun, Jessica, and Fa-Shen Vincent Wang. 2016. DPP-Dominated Taiwanese Legislature Begins Session. China Brief 16 (3). Accessed https://jamestown.org/program/dpp-dominated-taiwanese-legislature-begins-session/.
- Fell, Dafydd. 2005. Party Politics in Taiwan: Party Change and the Democratic Evolution of Taiwan, 1991–2004. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- ———. 2013. The Polarization of Taiwan’s Party Competition in the DPP Era. In Taiwan’s Democracy: Economic and Political Challenges, ed. Robert Ash, John W. Garver, and Penelope Prime, 75–98. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- ———. 2014. Taiwan’s Party System in the Ma Ying-jeou Era. In Political Changes in Taiwan Under Ma Ying-jeou: Partisan Conflict, Policy Choices, External Constraints and Security Challenges, ed. Jean-Pierre Cabestan and Jacques de Lisle, 37–59. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Hawang, Shiow-duan. 2016. Executive-Legislative Relations Under Divided Government. In Taiwan’s Democracy Challenged: The Chen Shui-bian Years, ed. Yun-han Chu, Larry Diamond, and Kharis Templeman, 123–144. Boulder: Lynne Rienner Publishers.Google Scholar
- Rich, Timothy. 2017. Have Efforts to Reform Taiwan’s Electoral System Stalled? Taiwan Sentinel, January 19. https://sentinel.tw/reform-tw-electoral-stalled/. Accessed 7 Feb 2017.
- Rigger, Shelley. 2014. Political Parties and Identity Politics in Taiwan. In New Challenges for Maturing Democracies in Korea and Taiwan, ed. Larry Diamond and Shin Gi-wook, 106–132. Stanford: Stanford University Press.Google Scholar
- Yu, Eric Chen-hua. 2016. Partisanship and Public Opinion. In Taiwan’s Democracy Challenged: The Chen Shui-bian Years, ed. Yun-han Chu, Larry Diamond, and Kharis Templeman, 73–94. Boulder: Lynne Rienner Publishers.Google Scholar