An Approach to Prepare Data to Feed Visual Metaphors in a Multiple View Interactive Environment
This paper presents an approach to prepare data to feed visual metaphors in a multiple view interactive environment. We implemented a tool that supports programmers and users to prepare datasets from different domains to feed visual metaphors. To analyze the effectiveness of the approach, we conducted a case study with the data of the Brazilian National Health System (known as SUS—Sistema Unico de Saude in Portuguese). The results obtained are an initial evidence of the feasibility of the approach that support the preparation of data to a format suitable to the characteristics of visual metaphors. The case study illustrates scenarios in which both programmers and users are able to prepare datasets from different domains to feed visual metaphors that comprise a multiple view interactive visualization infrastructure.
KeywordsCloud computing Legacy systems Cloud migration Tools
- 1.N. Iliinsky, J. Steele, Designing Data Visualizations, 1st edn. (O’Reilly, Sebastapol, 2011)Google Scholar
- 2.G.P Johnson, S.A. Mock, B.M. Westing, G.S. Johnson, Envision: a web-based tool for scientific visualization, in EnVision: A Web-Based Tool for Scientific Visualization. 9th IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Cluster Computing and the Grid (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.B.B. Bederson, B. Shneiderman, M. Wattenberg, Ordered and quantum treemaps: making effective use of 2d space to display hierarchies. ACM Trans. Graph. 21(4), 833–854 (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.J. Stasko, E. Zhang, Focus+ context display and navigation techniques for enhancing radial, space-filling hierarchy visualizations, in IEEE Symposium on Information Visualization, 2000. InfoVis 2000 (IEEE, New York, 2000), pp. 57–65Google Scholar
- 5.M. Carpendale, Considering visual variables as a basis for information visualisation (2003)Google Scholar