End of Life Care for the Glioma Patient
The definition of palliative care is explored in this chapter—it includes ‘end of life’ care, which is defined as care that is given in the last months of life of a patient. End of life care is of great importance for patients with a glioma since the disease trajectory is often accompanied with burdensome symptoms. Survival after diagnosis is relatively short, and the disease can influence patients’ decision-making capacity. Above that, the disease often also has a major impact on relatives of the patient.
In this chapter we will describe the most common physical symptoms in the last months of life of patients with a glioma, and the impact the disease can have on daily life including the psychosocial and spiritual part of life. We will focus on the role of specialist nurses in the last months of life, illustrating the many challenges a nurse can face when caring for a patient with a glioma.
KeywordsPalliative care End of life care Neuro-oncology management Advance care planning Terminal care Dying
- 2.Zwinkels H. Grief, bereavement and mourning. Eur Assoc Neuroncol. 2013;3:70–1.Google Scholar
- 3.Stupp R, Mason WP, van den Bent MJ, Weller M, Fisher B, Taphoorn MJ, Belanger K, Brandes AA, Marosi C, Bogdahn U, Curschmann J, Janzer RC, Ludwin SK, Gorlia T, Allgeier A, Lacombe D, Cairncross JG, Eisenhauer E, Mirimanoff RO, European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer Brain Tumor and Radiotherapy Groups; National Cancer Institute of Canada Clinical Trials Group. Radiotherapy plus concomitant and adjuvant temozolomide for glioblastoma. N Engl J Med. 2005;352(10):987–96.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Walbert T, Chasteen K. Palliative and supportive care for glioma patients. In: Raizer J, Parsa A, editors. Current understanding and treatment of gliomas. Cancer Research and treatment volume 163. Dordrecht: Springer; 2015.Google Scholar
- 17.Koekkoek JA, Dirven L, Reijneveld JC, Sizoo EM, Pasman HR, Postma TJ, Deliens L, Grant R, McNamara S, Grisold W, Medicus E, Stockhammer G, Oberndorfer S, Flechl B, Marosi C, Taphoorn MJ, Heimans JJ. End of life care in high-grade glioma patients in three European countries: a comparative study. J Neuro-Oncol. 2014;120(2):303–10.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 28.Applebaum AJ, Kryza-Lacombe M, Buthorn J, DeRosa S, Corner G, Diamond EA. Existential distress among caregivers of patients with brain tumours: a review of the literature. Neurooncol Pract. 2016;3:232–44.Google Scholar
- 30.CS NAT. http://csnat.org/.