Conclusion: (Re)centring Labour, Class, and Race
In the conclusion, Picker underlines the heuristic value of the six chapters. He does so by comprehensively showing the ways in which labour organization, class formation, and racialization are articulated in the making of the urban areas under scrutiny. In dialogue with the volume’s Introduction, Picker first shows that Racialized Labour in Romania is an essential contribution that fills an important gap in the literature by squarely centring the labour-class-race complex. Subsequently, the author zooms out of Romanian localities to detect heuristic similarities between racialized urban dynamics in Romania and in other parts of the world, within contemporary unequal global trends. Further venues of research on the urban dimensions of the labour-class-race complex are then identified, and these include foci on intersectionality, religion, and more analyses of Central and Eastern European contexts from global perspectives.
- Abdul-Ahad, Ghathi. 2008. Inside Dubai’s Labour Camps. The Guardian, October 8.Google Scholar
- Bayat, Asef. 1997. Street Politics: Poor People’s Movements in Iran. New York: Columbia University Press.Google Scholar
- Bhandar, Brenna, and Davina Bhandar, eds. 2016. Reflections on Dispossession: Critical Feminisms. London: Darkmatter Journal, 14.Google Scholar
- Burawoy, Michael. 2000. Introduction: Reaching for the Global. In Global Ethnography Forces, Connections, and Imaginations in a Postmodern World, ed. Michael Burawoy, Joseph A. Blum, Sheba George, Zsuzsa Gille, and Millie Thayer, 1–4. Berkeley: University of California Press.Google Scholar
- Butler, Judith, and Athena Athanasiou. 2013. Dispossession: The Performative in the Political. Oxford: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Carbonella, August, and Sharryn Kasmir, eds. 2014. Blood and Fire. Toward a Global Anthropology of Labor. New York/Oxford: Berghahn Books.Google Scholar
- Cooper, Frederick, and Ann Laura Stoler, eds. 1997. Tensions of Empire. Colonial Cultures in a Bourgeois World. Berkeley: University of California Press.Google Scholar
- Davis, Mike. 2006. Planet of Slums. London: Verso.Google Scholar
- Du Bois, W.E.B. 1975. Black Reconstruction in America: An Essay Toward a History of the Part Which Black Folk Played in the Attempt to Reconstruct Democracy in America. New York: Atheneum.Google Scholar
- Goldberg, David Theo. 1993. Polluting the Body Politics. In Racist Culture: Philosophy and the Politics of Meaning. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell.Google Scholar
- ———. 2002. The Racial State. Oxford: Wiley.Google Scholar
- ———. 2009. The Threat of Race. On Racial Neoliberalism. Oxford: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Gramsci, Antonio. 1971. Selections from the Prison Notebooks. Ed. and Ttrans. Quentin Hoare and Geoffrey Nowell Smith. London: Lawrence & Wishart.Google Scholar
- Gregory, Derek. 2004. The Colonial Present. Malden: Blackwell.Google Scholar
- Hall, Stuart, M. Rustin, and D. Massey, eds. 2015. After Neoliberalism? The Kilburn Manifesto. London: Lawrence and Wishart.Google Scholar
- Herzfeld, Michael. 2001. Epistemologies. In Anthropology: Theoretical Practice in Culture and Society. Oxford: Blackwell.Google Scholar
- ILO (International Labor Organization). (2017). Global Wage Report 2016/2017. http://www.ilo.org/global/research/global-reports/global-wage-report/2016/lang--en/index.htm. Accessed 2 June 2017.
- Picker, Giovanni. 2017. Racial Cities: Governance and the Segregation of Romani People in Urban Europe. Abingdon/New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Polanyi, Karl. 1944. The Great Transformation: The Political and Economic Origins of Our Time. Farrar & Rinehart.Google Scholar
- Robinson, Cedric. 1983. Black Marxism: The Making of the Black Radical Tradition. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press.Google Scholar
- ———. 2017. Dis/possessive Collectivism: Property and Personhood at City’s End. Geoforum, Online First.Google Scholar
- UN-HABITAT. 2016a. World Cities Report. http://wcr.unhabitat.org/. Accessed 23 May 2017.
- ———. 2016b. Sanandaj Declaration Calling for Action in Informal Settlements in Iran. https://unhabitat.org/sanandaj-declaration-calling-for-action-in-informal-settlements-in-iran. Accessed 23 May 2017.
- UNHCR. 2017. Global Trends Report. http://www.unhcr.org/globaltrends2016/. Accessed 23 May 2017.
- Winant, Howard. 2001. The World Is a Ghetto: Race and Democracy since WWII. New York: Basic Books.Google Scholar
- ———. 2004. The New Politics of Race: Globalism, Difference, Justice. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.Google Scholar
- Wolfe, Patrick. 2016. Traces of History: Elementary Structures of Race. London: Verso.Google Scholar