Fundamentals of Stapling Devices
Surgical staplers have increased the efficiency and ease of completion of many operations. The development of the surgical stapler started in the early 1900s, and these devices have rapidly undergone major improvements throughout the past century. Surgical staplers are now used in a wide range of operations including procedures involving the esophagus, stomach, gallbladder, liver, pancreas, small bowel, colon, lung, and relative vasculature, among other anatomical structures. Although staplers can be simple to use, certain technical aspects must be taken into account, including tissue thickness, strength and composition, staple height, and duration of compression prior to firing the stapler. Further modifications are ongoing to continue to make these devices more efficient and simple to adapt to complex operative situations.
KeywordsSurgical stapler Mechanical suture Anastomosis Surgical history
- 6.Kleinfield NR. U.S. Surgical’s checkered history. New York Times. May 13, 1984.Google Scholar
- 10.Nguyen NT, Dakin G, Needleman B, Pomp A, Mikami D, Provost DA, Scott DJ, Jones DB, Gallagher S, Gagner M, Murr M. Effect of staple height on gastrojejunostomy during laparoscopic gastric bypass: a multicenter prospective randomized trial. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2010;6:477–84.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 11.Sakran N, Assalia A, Sternberg A, Kluger Y, Troitsa A, Brauner E, Van Cauwenberge S, De Visschere M, Dillemans B. Smaller staple height for circular stapled gastrojejunostomy in laparoscopic gastric bypass: early results in 1,074 morbidly obese patients. Obes Surg. 2010;21:238–43.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Okano K, Oshima M, Kakinoki K, Yamamoto N, Akamoto S, Yachida S, Hagiike M, Kamada H, Masaki T, Suzuki Y. Pancreatic thickness as a predictive factor for postoperative pancreatic fistula after distal pancreatectomy using an endopath stapler. Surg Today. 2013;43:141–7.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 18.Tsukane M, Kobayashi Y, Otsuka Y, Maeda T, Yamazaki N, Watanabe H, Ando T, Kaneko H, Fujie MG. Effect of the thickness and nonlinear elasticity of tissue on the success of surgical stapling for laparoscopic liver resection. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2014;2014:353–6.Google Scholar