This chapter delves into the deep and understudied relationship between international relations and soccer. It suggests that the world’s most popular sport might be a cause and effect of international relations. It is only natural that international soccer matches should rack up more than their fair share of international incidents, such as the 1969 Soccer War between El Salvador and Honduras or the Christmas Truce football match of World War I. Chapter six collects many of these instances in which soccer was something more than just a game.
References and Suggested Readings
- “CAS Orders FIFA to Admit Gibraltar as Member,” ESPN, May 2, 2016. http://www.espn.com/soccer/gibraltar/story/2863318/cas-orders-fifa-to-admit-gibraltar-as-member.
- Choe, Sang-hun. “North Korea’s Would-Be Olympics: A Cold War Boondoggle,” The New York Times, February 4, 2018. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/04/world/asia/north-korea-olympics.html.
- Crocker, Terri Blom. The Christmas Truce: Myth, Memory, and the First World War. Lexington: University of Kentucky Press, 2015.Google Scholar
- Dash, Mike. “The Story of the WW1 Christmas Truce,” Smithsonian, December 23, 2011. Accessed on February 13, 2018 at https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/the-story-of-the-wwi-christmas-truce-11972213/?no-ist.
- Foer, Franklin. How Soccer Explains the World: An Unlikely Theory of Globalization, Reprint Edition. New York: Harper, 2010.Google Scholar
- Hollander, Neil. Elusive Dove: The Search for Peace During World War I. New York: McFarland, 2014.Google Scholar
- Hughes, Rob. “Tale of 1914 Christmas Day Truce Is Inspiring, Though Hard to Believe,” The New York Times, December 24, 2014. Accessed on February 19, 2018 at https://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/24/sports/soccer/tale-of-1914-christmas-day-truce-soccer-game.html?_r=0.
- “Kosovo’s Recognition by FIFA is a Step Towards International Legitimacy,” Economist, May 17, 2016. Accessed on February 11, 2018 at https://www.economist.com/blogs/gametheory/2016/05/sport-and-statehood.
- “Members,” CONIFA. Accessed on February 13, 2018 at http://www.conifa.org/en/members/.
- “Moments in Diplomatic History: The 1969 ‘Soccer War’ Between Honduras and El Salvador,” Association for Diplomatic Studies and Training (2012). Accessed on February 13, 2018 at http://adst.org/2014/06/the-1969-soccer-war/#.WmS9tHn9mM9.
- Poon, Linda. “The ‘World Passport’ That’s Trying to Erase National Boundaries,” City Lab, January 22, 2016. Accessed on February 18, 2018 at https://www.citylab.com/equity/2016/01/the-world-passport-thats-trying-to-erase-national-boundaries/426645/.
- Tuchman, Barbara. The Guns of August, Reprint Edition. New York: Random House, 2009 (1962).Google Scholar