Wide-Scale Transport Network Microscopic Simulation Using Dynamic Assignment Approach
Traffic microscopic simulation is a powerful decision supporting tool, which could be applied for wide range of tasks. In a past microscopic traffic simulation was used to test local changes in transport infrastructure, but the growth of computers performance allows now to simulate wide-scale fragments of the traffic network, but this require usage of more advanced simulation techniques, like dynamic traffic assignment (DTA). There are several benefits of DTA application, but practical application of DTA make the simulation task more complex and require additional parametrisation, calibration and validation of the model. The goal of the current paper is to present the case-study from city of Riga (capital of Latvia), which demonstrates the application of dynamic assignment approach in the complex network simulation with use of DTA in PTV VISSIM simulation software. Additional finding of this paper is the set of the recommendations of the VISSIM dynamic assignment module configuration for solving above mentioned problem.
KeywordsSimulation Dynamic assignment Wide-scale networks Traffic
This work was supported by Latvian state research program 2014–2017 project “The next generation of information and communication technologies (NexIT)”.
- 2.Fellendorf, M., Vortisch, P.: Microscopic traffic flow simulator VISSIM. In: Fundamentals of Traffic Simulation, pp. 63−93 (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.FHWA: Traffic Analysis Toolbox Volume XIV: Guidebook on the Utilization of Dynamic Traffic Assignment in Modeling, Publication NO. FHWA-HOP-13-015 (2012)Google Scholar
- 4.Transport for London: Traffic Modelling Guidelines version 3 (2010). Edited by Dr. James Smith and Robert BlewittGoogle Scholar
- 5.PTV Planung Transport Verkehr AG: PTV VISSIM MANUAL, PTV Planning Transport Verkehr AG (2012)Google Scholar
- 7.Kleinen, J.P.C.: Validation of models: statistical techniques and data availability. In: Winter Simulation Conference, p. 7 (1999)Google Scholar
- 8.Chiu, Y., Bottom, J., Mahut, M., Paz, A., Balakrishna, R., Waller, T., Hicks, J.: Dynamic Traffic Assignment: A Primer. Transportation Research Circular E-C153 (2011)Google Scholar