Mining Communication Data in a Music Community: A Preliminary Analysis
Comments play an important role within online creative communities because they make it possible to foster the production and improvement of authors’ artifacts. We investigate how comment-based communication help shape members’ behavior within online creative communities. In this paper, we report the results of a preliminary study aimed at mining the communication network of a music community for collaborative songwriting, where users collaborate online by first uploading new songs and then by adding new tracks and providing feedback in forms of comments.
KeywordsComputer-mediated communication Online creative communities Social networks SNA
We thank Songtree for contributing their data. This work has been partially supported by the project EmoQuest, funded by MIUR under the SIR program.
- 1.Bird, C., Gourley, A., Devanbu, P., Gertz, M., Swaminathan, A.: Mining email social networks. In: Proceedings of the 2006 International Workshop on Mining Software Repositories, NY, USA, pp. 137–143. ACM, New York (2006)Google Scholar
- 2.Blau, P.M.: Exchange and Power in Social Life. Transaction Publishers, Emerson (1964)Google Scholar
- 3.Burke, M., Settles, B.: Plugged in to the community: social motivators in online goal-setting groups. In: Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Communities Technologies, NY, USA, pp. 1–10. ACM, New York (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Schultheiss, D., Blieske, A., Solf, A., Staeudtner, S.: How to encourage the crowd? a study about user typologies and motivations on crowdsourcing platforms. In: Proceedings of the 2013 IEEE/ACM 6th International Conference on Utility and Cloud Computing. IEEE Computer Society, Washington, DC, USA, pp. 506–509 (2013)Google Scholar
- 6.Settles, B., Dow, S.: Let’s get together: the formation and success of online creative collaborations. In: Proceedings of SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, NY, USA, pp. 2009–2018. ACM, New York (2013)Google Scholar
- 8.Xu, J., Gao, Y., Christley, S., Madey, G.: A topological analysis of the open source software development community. In: Proceedings of the 38th Annual Hawaii International Conference System Science (2005)Google Scholar