Nutrition and Exercise: A Personalised Approach
The use of clinical tools to assess nutritional status has a valid role to make decisions about the individual nutritional needs and early nutritional intervention.
Exercise for older people is an essential therapy for mental and physical well-being.
A holistic approach to personal nutrition considers faith, personal wishes, ethical view, personal food behaviours and preferences.
The art to personal nutrition involves regular meal planning and targeting specific nutrients based on individual needs.
Personal exercise and nutritional plans contribute to good glycaemic control and healthy ageing
- Artaza-Artabe I, Sáez-López P, Sánchez-Hernández N, Fernández-Gutierrez N, Malafarina V (2016) The relationship between nutrition and frailty: effects of protein intake, nutritional supplementation, vitamin D and exercise on muscle metabolism in the elderly. A systematic review. Maturitas 93:89–99CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Bauer J, Biolo G, Cederholm T, Cesari M, Cruz-Jentoft AJ, Morley JE, Phillips S, Sieber C, Stehle P, Teta D, Visvanathan R (2013) Evidence-based recommendations for optimal dietary protein intake in older people: a position paper from the PROT-AGE Study Group. J Am Med Dir Assoc 14(8):542–559CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Beaudart C, Buckinx F, Rabenda V, Gillain S, Cavalier E, Slomian J, Petermans J, Reginster JY, Bruyère O (2014) The effects of vitamin D on skeletal muscle strength, muscle mass, and muscle power: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. J Clin Endocrinol Metabol 99(11):4336–4345CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Deutz NE, Bauer JM, Barazzoni R, Biolo G, Boirie Y, Bosy-Westphal A, Cederholm T, Cruz-Jentoft A, Krznariç Z, Nair KS, Singer P (2014) Protein intake and exercise for optimal muscle function with aging: recommendations from the ESPEN Expert Group. Clin Nutr 33(6):929–936CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- McClure R, Villani A (2017) Mediterranean diet attenuates risk of frailty and sarcopenia: new insights and future directions. JCSM Clin Rep 2(2):e00045Google Scholar
- Moore EM, Ames D, Mander AG, Carne RP, Brodaty H, Woodward MC, Boundy K, Ellis KA, Bush AI, Faux NG, Martins RN (2014) Among vitamin B12 deficient older people, high folate levels are associated with worse cognitive function: combined data from three cohorts. J Alzheimers Dis 39(3):661–668CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Ngandu T, Lehtisalo J, Solomon A, Levälahti E, Ahtiluoto S, Antikainen R, Bäckman L, Hänninen T, Jula A, Laatikainen T, Lindström J (2015) A 2 year multidomain intervention of diet, exercise, cognitive training, and vascular risk monitoring versus control to prevent cognitive decline in at-risk elderly people (FINGER): a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 385(9984):2255–2263CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Robinson S, Cooper C, Sayer AA (2012) Nutrition and sarcopenia: a review of the evidence and implications for preventive strategies. J Aging Res 2012, Article ID 510801, 6 pGoogle Scholar
- Sala-Vila A, Díaz-López A, Valls-Pedret C, Cofán M, García-Layana A, Lamuela-Raventós RM, Castañer O, Zanon-Moreno V, Martinez-Gonzalez MA, Toledo E, Basora J (2016) Dietary marine ω-3 fatty acids and incident sight-threatening retinopathy in middle-aged and older individuals with type 2 diabetes: prospective investigation from the PREDIMED trial. JAMA Ophthalmol 134(10):1142–1149CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Serra-Prat M, Sist X, Domenich R, Jurado L, Saiz A, Roces A, Palomera E, Tarradelles M, Papiol M (2017) Effectiveness of an intervention to prevent frailty in pre-frail community-dwelling older people consulting in primary care: a randomised controlled trial. Age Ageing 46(3):401–407PubMedGoogle Scholar
- de Souto Barreto P, Morley JE, Chodzko-Zajko W, Pitkala KH, Weening-Djiksterhuis E, Rodriguez-Mañas L, Barbagallo M, Rosendahl E, Sinclair A, Landi F, Izquierdo M (2016) Recommendations on physical activity and exercise for older adults living in long-term care facilities: a taskforce report. J Am Med Dir Assoc 17(5):381–392CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar