Academic Leadership as a Goal for Municipal University Development
The aim was to study the experience of Ekaterinburg Academy of Contemporary Art (EACA) allowing it to occupy the leading positions among universities of the Ural region and Russia in the quality of cultural and art projects and competencies and its contribution to the development and global competitiveness of Ekaterinburg, the Ural region, and Russia. We described the state policy in education for 2013–2017 aimed at providing new quality of education. We analyzed foreign studies concerning academic leadership and concluded that to become an academic leader, a local (municipal) university should avoid traditional systems of university development existing for decades and try to introduce modern organization strategies for all university activities, particularly to transfer from processing to projecting approach in education. We determined the general mechanisms to achieve strategic goals of EACA aimed at becoming one of the regional academic leaders.
We thank Larisa E. Petrova, vice rector for science and innovations of EACA, who provided insight and expertise that greatly assisted the research.
- Concept of Long-term Social and Economic Development of the Russian Federation until 2020 (2008) Ministry of economic development of RF. http://economy.gov.ru/minec/activity/sections/strategicPlanning/concept/doc20081117_01. Accessed 27 Jul 2017
- Decree on arrangements of implementing the state social policy (2012) Ministry of education and science of RF. http://минобрнауки.рф/документы/4716. Accessed 27 Jul 2017Google Scholar
- Decree on education in the Russian Federation (2012) Ministry of education and science of RF. http://минобрнауки.рф/документы/2974. Accessed 27 Jul 2017Google Scholar
- Decree on measures of implementing the state policy in the field of education and science (2012) Ministry of education and science of RF. http://минобрнауки.рф/новости/2214. Accessed 27 Jul 2017Google Scholar
- Resolution on educational system monitoring (2013) Russian newspaper official. https://rg.ru/2013/08/19/monitoring-site-dok.html. Accessed 27 Jul 2017
- Reveiu A, Dardala M (2013) The role of universities in innovative regional clusters. Empir Evid Romania Procedia—Soc Behav Sci 93:555–559Google Scholar
- Russian Federation State Programme “Education development” for 2013–2020 (2014) Ministry of education and science of RF. http://минобрнауки.рф/документы/3409. Accessed 27 Jul 2017Google Scholar
- State Programme of Sverdlovskaya Oblast “Development of the education system in Sverdlovskaya oblast until 2024” (2016) Codex database. http://docs.cntd.ru/document/429094102. Accessed 2 Aug 2017
- Strategic plan of municipal education development “Ekaterinburg city” until 2020 (2010) Ekaterinburg. RF official. https://екатеринбург.рф/официально/стратегия/раздел3/направление1/культура. Accessed 2 Aug 2017Google Scholar