Planar L-Drawings of Directed Graphs
We study planar drawings of directed graphs in the L-drawing standard. We provide necessary conditions for the existence of these drawings and show that testing for the existence of a planar L-drawing is an NP-complete problem. Motivated by this result, we focus on upward-planar L-drawings. We show that directed st-graphs admitting an upward- (resp. upward-rightward-) planar L-drawing are exactly those admitting a bitonic (resp. monotonically increasing) st-ordering. We give a linear-time algorithm that computes a bitonic (resp. monotonically increasing) st-ordering of a planar st-graph or reports that there exists none.
- 1.Angelini, P., Da Lozzo, G., Di Bartolomeo, M., Di Donato, V., Patrignani, M., Roselli, V., Tollis, I.G.: L-drawings of directed graphs. In: Freivalds, R.M., Engels, G., Catania, B. (eds.) SOFSEM 2016. LNCS, vol. 9587, pp. 134–147. Springer, Heidelberg (2016). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-662-49192-8_11 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Brückner, G.: Higher-degree orthogonal graph drawing with flexibility constraints. Bachelor thesis, Department of Informatics, KIT (2013). https://i11www.iti.kit.edu/_media/teaching/theses/ba-brueckner-13.pdf
- 6.Chaplick, S., Chimani, M., Cornelsen, S., Da Lozzo, G., Nöllenburg, M., Patrignani, M., Tollis, I.G., Wolff, A.: Planar L-drawings of directed graphs. arXiv:1708.09107, Cornell University (2017)
- 11.Eigelsperger, M.: Automatic layout of UML class diagrams: a topology-shape-metrics approach. Ph.D. thesis, Eberhard-Karls-Universität zu Tübingen (2003)Google Scholar
- 15.Gronemann, M.: Algorithms for incremental planar graph drawing and two-page book embeddings. Ph.D. thesis, University of Cologne (2015). http://kups.ub.uni-koeln.de/id/eprint/6329