Nonprofit Leadership and Decision Making: Radical Choice Application for Nonprofit’s Sustainability
This chapter advocates the utilization of integrated leadership, as well as attempts to enhance integrated leadership by crafting business decision-making theories in the recruitment and management of nonprofits’ volunteers, especially the Baby Boomers. The researcher contextualizes that enhanced integrated leadership style will stand the buffet of the next decade.
KeywordsIntegrated leadership Decision making Baby Boomers Positioning nonprofit organizations Model of integrated leadership Tips for future leaders
- Aldhmour, M., & Shannak, O. (2009). Effective utilization of information and communication technology and its impact on competitive advantage. European Journal of Scientific Research, 29(3), 302–314.Google Scholar
- Barbeito, C. L. (2004). Human resource policies and procedures, for nonprofit organizations. USA: Wiley. Google Scholar
- Bureau of Labor Statistics. (2016). Volunteering in the United States, 2015. Retrieved November 2017, from https://www.bls.gov/new.release/volun.nr0.htm.
- Catholic News Agency (CNA). (2017). Little Sisters face new lawsuit over their HHS mandate exemption. Retrieved November 26, 2017, from https://www.catholicnewsagency.com.
- Chait, R., Ryan, W., & Taylor, B. (2005). Governance as leadership. London, USA: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Chiagouris, L. (2005). Nonprofit brands: Come of age: Nonprofit branding. Marketing Management, 14(4), 30–33.Google Scholar
- Collins, J. (2001). Good to greatness. New York: HarperCollins.Google Scholar
- Egri, C. P., & Herman, S. (2000). Leadership in the North American environmental sector: Values, leadership styles, and contexts or environmental leaders and their organizations. Academy of Management Journal, 43(4), 571–604.Google Scholar
- Foster-Bey, J., Grimm, R., & Dietz, N. (2007). Keeping baby boomers volunteering. Washington, DC: Corporation for National & Community Service.Google Scholar
- Gaindric, C. (2009). Decision support systems in ultrasound diagnostics. Computer Science Journal of Moldova, 17(3), 51.Google Scholar
- Gamble, J. L. (2008). Leadership trends in the non-profit sector: A North American sample of United Way Executive Directors (Dissertation). ProQuest Management, 14(4), 30–33.Google Scholar
- Gardiner, P. C., & Edward, W. (1975). Public values: Multiattribute utility measure for social decision making. In M. F. Kaplan & S. Schwartz (Eds.), Human judgement & decision process. NY: Academic Press.Google Scholar
- Gilbert, T. (1993). “Faster! Newer!” is not a strategy. Society for the Advancement of Management, 58(4).Google Scholar
- Goldsmith, M., Greenberg, C. L., Robertson, A., & Hu-Chan, M. (2003). Global leadership: The next generations. USA: Prentice Hall.Google Scholar
- Golub, L. (1997). Decision analysis: An integrated approach. Canada: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Hannay, M. (2009). The cross-cultural leader: The application of servant leadership theory in the international context. Journal of International Business and Cultural Studies, 1, 1–12.Google Scholar
- Harrison, J. L. (2011). Instructor transformational leadership and students outcomes. Emerging Leadership Journey, 4(1), 82–136. Regent University School of Global Leadership & Entrepreneurship.Google Scholar
- Hofstede, G. (1980). Culture’s consequences: International differences in work-related values. Beverly Hills, CA: Sage. Google Scholar
- House, J., Hanges, J., Javidan, M., Dorfman, W., & Gupta, V. (2004). Culture, leadership, and organizations. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.Google Scholar
- Kotter, J. P., & Cohen, D. S. (2002). The heart of change. Boston, MA: Harvard Business School Press.Google Scholar
- Kouzes, M., & Posner. (2005). Leadership challenge 2002. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.Google Scholar
- Lindenmeier, J. (2008). Promoting volunteerism: Effects of self-efficacy, advertisement-induced emotional arousal, perceived cost of volunteering, and message framing. Department of Business Administration. International Society for Third Sector Research and Johns Hopkins University. Published online. Retrieved June 2, 2009, from EBSCO database.Google Scholar
- Marcus, A. A. (2005). Management strategy. Minneapolis, MN: McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- Northouse, P. (2007). Leadership theory and practice. London: Sage.Google Scholar
- Ntamere, C. O. (2012). Volunteer numerical strength, recruiting and managing volunteers as a measure of nonprofit’s sustainability (Doctoral dissertation). ProQuest Dissertations and Thesis (Accession Order/Publication #3536443).Google Scholar
- Patel, L., Perold, H., Mohamed, S. E., & Carapinha, R. (2007). Five country study on service and volunteering in South African. Center for Social Development. St. Louis, USA: Washington University.Google Scholar
- Pepitone, J. (2010). Twitter mobilizes Haiti aid effort. Journal of Social Psychology, 143(4), 479–491. Retrieved July 13, 2010, from www.wib.com/home/headline/81322052.
- Power, D. J. (2000). Supporting decision-makers: An expanded framework. Retrieved March 23, 2010, from http://dssresources.com.
- Riemer, A., Dorsch, D., Hoeber, L., Paskevich, M., & Chelladurai, P. (2004). Motivations for volunteering with youth-oriented programs. Canadian Center for Philanthropy.Google Scholar
- Salamon, L. (2003). The resilient sector. Washington, DC: Brookings Institution Press.Google Scholar
- Shanteau, J. (2001). Encyclopedia of psychology and behavior science (3rd ed.). Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Sprague, R. H. Jr., & Carlson, E. D. (1982). Building effective decision support systems. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentic Hall Inc.Google Scholar
- Stanescu, A., Chete, C., & Giurgiu, L. (2009). Knowledge enriched decisional environments. Buletin Stiintific, 14(2), 133–138.Google Scholar
- Taylor, C. R. (2004). Retention leadership. T + D 58: 40–45. American Society For Training and Development. Human Resource Management, 16(8), 1454–1474.Google Scholar
- United State Department of Labor. (2010). Volunteering in the United State. Retrived May 2011, from https://www.bls.gov/new.release/archieves/volunt_01262011.pdf.