The Quest for a Paradigm Shift in Leadership for the Next Decade and Beyond
Evolutionary changes in leadership theories, styles, and models have occurred through the decades, from the beginning of time. However, we are now in an era of such rapid change heralded by globalization, technology, and organizational crises and scandals that the future of leadership calls for a paradigm shift to address the needs of the future. This chapter highlights the leadership needs of globalization, future internal operational changes, and building the foundations of humanism in leadership to orchestrate a major paradigm shift for the future of our organizations and global community. Servant leadership (SL) is introduced as a possible leadership model for use as a tool for a rapid (as opposed to evolutionary) paradigm shift. SL, identified as one of the new genre models of leadership, such as transformational, authentic, charismatic, and spiritual, is defined and discussed. The SL model contains various elements of other new genre models, but moves beyond to a model of foresight, individually reorienting and socially transforming for future leadership to facilitate a sustainable society, humane, and responsible for global future generations for the common good.
- Banking Collapse of 2008. (2008, December 28). Retrieved from https://www.theguardian.com/business/2008/dec/28/markets-credit-crunch-banking-2008.
- Blake, P. (2016, November 3). Timeline of the Wells Fargo accounts scandal—ABC News. Retrieved from http://abcnews.go.com/Business/timeline-wells-fargo-accounts-scanda.
- Boone, L. W., & Makhani, S. (2012). Five necessary attitudes of a servant leader. Review of Business, 33(1), 83–96. Retrieved from https://www.questia.com/library/p1024/review-of-business.
- Burns, J. M. (1978). Leadership. New York, NY: Harper and Row.Google Scholar
- Collins, J. (2001). Good to greatness. New York: HarperCollins Publishers Inc.Google Scholar
- Ehrhart, M. G. (2004). Leadership and procedural justice climate as antecedents of unit level organizational citizenship behaviors. Personnel Psychology, 57(1), 61–94. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.2004.tb02484.x.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gandolfi, F., & Stone, S. (2016). Clarifying leadership: High-impact leaders in a time of leadership crisis. Review of International Comparative Management, 17(3), 212–224.Google Scholar
- Glashagel, J. (2009). Servant-institutions in business. Westfield, IN: The Greenleaf Center for Servant Leadership.Google Scholar
- Grameen Bank. (2017). History of Grameen Bank. Retrieved from http://grameenresearch.org/history-of-grameen-bank/.
- Greenleaf, R. K. (2002). Servant leadership: A journey into the nature of legitimate power & greatness. Mahwah, NJ: Paulist.Google Scholar
- Grim, R., & Bendery, J. (2015, July 13). Leaked document: Nearly one-third of 847,000 vets with pending applications for VA health care already died. Retrieved from http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/07/13/veterans-health-care-back.
- Humphreys, J. H., Williams, W. A., Jr., Haden, S. P., Hayek, M., Pryor, M. G., & Randolph-Seng, B. (2014). Servant leadership: Approaching the paradox from the life-stories of Ping Fu. The Journal of Applied Management and Entrepreneurship, 19(4), 43–60. Retrieved from http://greenleaf-journals.com/index.php/jame.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kincaid, M. (2012). Building corporate social responsibility through servant-leadership. International Journal of Leadership Studies, 7(2), 151–171. Retrieved from http://www.regent.edu/acad/global/publications/ijls/new/home.htm.
- Latham, J. R. (2013). A framework for leading the transformation to performance excellence part II: CEO perspectives on leadership behaviors, individual leader characteristics, and organizational culture. Quality Management Journal, 20(3), 22–35. Retrieved from http://asq.org/pub/qmj/.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mandinezhad, M., Suandi, T. B., Silong, A. D. B., & Omar, Z. B. (2013). Transformational, transactional leadership styles and job performance of academic leaders. International Education Studies, 6(11), 29–34. Retrieved from http://research.proquest.com.ezp.waldenlibrary.org/pqcentral/printview.
- Murari, K., & Gupta, K. S. (2012). Impact of servant leadership on employee empowerment. Journal of Strategic Human Resources Management, 1(1), 28–37. Retrieved from http://www.manuscript.publishingindia.com/index.php/JSHRM.
- Parris, D. L., & Peachey, J. W. (2013). A systematic literature review of servant leadership theory in organizational contexts. Journal of Business Ethics, 113, 377–393. Retrieved from http://www.springer.com/social+sciences/applied+ethics/journal/10551.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Rodin, D. (2012). Towards a global ethic. Ethics and International Affairs, 26(1), 33–42. National Civic Review. Issue: Beyond the digital divide: How new technologies can amplify civic engagement and community participation, 100(3), 19–23.Google Scholar
- Shelton, E. J. (2012). Transformational leadership: Trust, motivation and engagement. Bloomington, IN: Trafford.Google Scholar
- Sipe, J. W., & Frick, D. M. (2009). The seven pillars of servant leadership: Practicing the wisdom of leading by serving. New York, NY: Paulist.Google Scholar
- US Department of Veterans Affairs. (2014). Department of veteran’s affairs statistics at a glance. National Center for Veterans Analysis and Statistics. Retrieved from http://va.gov.
- Validova, A. F., & Pulaj, E. (2016). Leadership styles in transitional economies. Academy of Strategic Management Journal, 15, 1–7.Google Scholar
- Van Dierendonck, D., & Nuijten, I. (2011). The servant leadership survey: Development and validation of a multidimensional measure. Journal of Business Psychology, 26, 249–267. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10869-010-9194-1.
- Washington, R. R., Sutton, C. D., & Sauser, W., Jr. (2014). How distinct is servant leadership theory? Empirical comparisons with competing theories. Journal of Leadership, Accountability & Ethics, 11(1), 11–25. Retrieved from http://www.na-businesspress.com/jlaeopen.html.
- Wells Fargo Bank Scandal. (2016, October). Timeline of the Wells Fargo accounts scandal. Retrieved from http://abcnews.go.com/Business/timeline-wells-fargo-accounts-scanda.
- Zezima, K. (2014, May 30). Everything you need to know about the VA—And the scandals engulfing it. The Washington Post. Retrieved from https://www.washingtonpost.com/news-thefix/wp/2014/05/21/a-guide.