Conclusion and Outlook
Summarizing the findings of his multi-layered comparative study on the Tea Party and Occupy Wall Street, Kumkar shows how these protest mobilizations can be interpreted as symptoms of the deep structural crisis of US class society and especially of its petty bourgeoisie. Their interpretation therefore helps to understand other recent political events, such as the successful presidential campaign of Donald Trump in 2016: Kumkar contradicts those that identified the members of the ‘white working class’ as the core supporters of Trump and points out that they have instead to be sought in the older cohorts of the classical petty bourgeoisie, whose habitually patterned lived experience of the Great Recession, as it was reconstructed throughout the book, resonated strongly with Trump’s campaign slogans.
- Blühdorn, Ingolfur. 2013. Simulative Demokratie: Neue Politik nach der postdemokratischen Wende. Berlin: Suhrkamp.Google Scholar
- ———. 2014. A Massive Escalation of Truly Disruptive Action...? Bürger Protest und Nachhaltigkeit in der postdemokratischen Konstellation. Forschungsjournal Neue Soziale Bewegungen 2014 (1): 27–37.Google Scholar
- Carnes, Nicholas, und Noam Lupu. “It’s Time to Bust the Myth: Most Trump Voters Were Not Working Class.” Washington Post, June 5 2017. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2017/06/05/its-timeto-bust-the-myth-most-trump-voters-were-not-working-class/?utm_term=.644391d3f6c7 (accessed February 24 2018).
- Cox, Daniel, and Robert Jones. 2017. Beyond Economics: Fears of Cultural Displacement Pushed the White Working Class to Trump. (PRRI). https://www.prri.org/research/white-working-class-attitudes-economy-trade-immigration-election-donald-trump/. Accessed 4 Nov 2017.
- Frank, Thomas. 2012. Pity the Billionaire: The Hard-Times Swindle and the Unlikely Comeback of the Right. New York: Metropolitan Books.Google Scholar
- Frum, David. 2016. The Great Republican Revolt. The Atlantic, February. http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/01/the-great-republican-revolt/419118/. Accessed 4 Nov 2017.
- Holmes, Marisa. 2016. Mic Check! Bernie Sanders Swallows Occupy’s Microphone. International Times: The Newspaper of Resistance, January 21. http://internationaltimes.it/mic-check-bernie-sanders-swallows-occupys-microphone/. Accessed 4 Nov 2017.
- Irwin, Neil, and Josh Katz. 2016. The Geography of Trumpism. The New York Times, March 12. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/13/upshot/the-geography-of-trumpism.html. Accessed 4 Nov 2017.
- Krieg, Gregory. 2016. Occupy Wall Street Rises Up for Sanders. CNN Politics, April 13. http://edition.cnn.com/2016/04/13/politics/occupy-wall-street-bernie-sanders-new-york-primary/. Accessed 4 Nov 2017.
- Krugman, Paul. 2009. Tea Parties Forever. The New York Times, April 13. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/13/opinion/13krugman.html. Accessed 4 Nov 2017.
- Lapinski, John, Josh Clinton, and Carrie Roush. 2015. The Deep Dive: Who Supports Donald Trump? (Data Points). http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/the-deep-dive-who-supports-donald-trump. Accessed 4 Nov 2017.
- McCreesh, Shawn. 2016. ‘March for Bernie’ Is an Occupy Wall Street Homecoming. Rolling Stone, January 31. http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/march-for-bernie-is-an-occupy-wall-street-homecoming-20160131. Accessed 4 Nov 2017.
- NBC News. 2016. Bernie Phone Bank Sets Up at Birthplace of Occupy Movement. NBC News. http://www.nbcnews.com/video/bernie-phone-bank-sets-up-at-birthplace-of-occupy-movement-653528643707. Accessed 4 Nov 2017.
- New York Times. 2010. Polling the Tea Party. New York: New York Times/CBS News Poll. http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/04/14/us/politics/20100414-tea-party-poll-graphic.html. Accessed 4 Nov 2017.
- OccupySteve. 2012. OWS Spring Training|The People’s Gong. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_XxBs6IGNA. Accessed 4 Nov 2017.
- Opensecrets.org. 2016. Independent Expenditures for Bernie Sanders, 2016 Cycle. https://www.opensecrets.org/pres16/indexp_indiv.php?cycle=2016&id=N00000528. Accessed 4 Nov 2017.
- Robbins, Christopher. 2016. The Occupied Wall Street Journal Is Back in Print For Bernie Sanders. The Gothamist, April. http://gothamist.com/2016/04/13/bernie_sanders_occupy_wall_st.php. Accessed 4 Nov 2017.
- Snow, David A., Sarah A. Soule, and Hanspeter Kriesi. 2006. Mapping the Terrain. In The Blackwell Companion to Social Movements, 3–16. Malden: Blackwell.Google Scholar
- Trott, Bill. 2016. Republican Financier Koch Says Clinton Might Make Better President. Reuters, April 24. http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-electon-koch-idUSKCN0XL01J. Accessed 4 Nov 2017.
- Turney, Shad, Frank Levy, Jack Citrin, and Neil O’Brian. 2017. Waiting for Trump:The Move to the Right of White Working-Class Men, 1968–2016. California Journal of Politics & Policy, May. http://escholarship.org/uc/item/1cq9k81z. Accessed 4 Nov 2017.