Unaccompanied Refugee Children in Greece: Assessments, Trauma, Sexual Exploitation and the Shattering of Identity
- 625 Downloads
It is estimated now that over 20,000 unaccompanied refugee children mainly from Syria, (ages 10–16) are in ‘Hot-spots’ in many areas in Greece, waiting for asylum to transfer to other European countries.
Children migrate for many reasons. Some are asylum seekers fleeing war, gangs, or persecution in their home countries, while others are victims of sex trafficking or slavery. Children may also migrate in search of economic opportunities, to join parents or relatives already living in the destination country, or to flee abusive situations in their home countries.
Unaccompanied children may arrive clandestinely, hidden by traffickers or paid smugglers, or they may attempt to migrate through normal immigration checkpoints. They may present false documents to border officials, or arrive in desperation with no documents at all. They may be apprehended while trying to enter the destination country, or evade border patrols altogether.
The presentation will explore the attachment and the impact of drama of unaccompanied refugee’s children and their exposure to sexual exploitation.
- Amnesty International. (2017). Retrieved from https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2017/03/eu-turkey-deal-a-shameful-stain-on-the-collective-conscience-of-europe/
- Carassava, A. (2017, May 11). Child refugees in Greece sell sex for smugglers’ fees. Retrieved from http://www.infomigrants.net/en/post/2900/child-refugees-in-greece-sell-sex-for-smugglers-fees
- Filed by: Amy Fairbairn Media and Communications Manager. (2017, May 30). Mercy Corps investigates allegation of misconduct. Retrieved from https://www.mercycorps.org/press-room/releases/mercy-corps-investigates-allegation-misconduct
- Mercy Corps confirm criminal allegations probe. (2017, June 01). Retrieved from http://www.infomigrants.net/en/post/3466/mercy-corps-confirm-criminal-allegations-probe
- Neslen, A. (2017, April 24). ‘Horrific’ levels of child abuse in unsafe refugee camps, warns EU. Retrieved from https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2017/apr/24/eu-urgent-protection-23000-unaccompanied-child-refugees-squalid-camps-greece-italy
- Smith, H. (2017, March 17). Refugees in Greece suffering after EU deal with Turkey, say NGOs. Retrieved from https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/17/refugees-in-greece-suffering-after-eu-deal-with-turkey-say-ngos
- Vogt, A. (2017, June 02). Aid agency’s funding suspended after staff are accused of sexually exploiting refugees. Retrieved from http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/02/charity-has-european-funding-suspended-refugee-sex-abuse-accusations/