Modelled Testbeds: Visualizing and Augmenting Physical Testbeds with Virtual Resources
Testbed facilities play a major role in the study and evolution of emerging technologies, such as those related to the Internet of Things. In this work we introduce the concept of modelled testbeds, which are 3D interactive representations of physical testbeds where the addition of virtual resources mimicking the physical ones is made possible thanks to back-end infrastructure. We present the architecture of the Syndesi testbed, deployed at the premises of University of Geneva, which was used for the prototype modelled testbed. We investigate several extrapolation techniques towards realistic value assignment for virtual sensor measurements. K-fold cross validation is performed in a dataset comprising of nearly 300’000 measurements of temperature, illuminance and humidity sensors collected from the physical sensors of the Syndesi testbed, in order to evaluate the accuracy of the methods. We obtain strong results including Mean Absolute Percentage Error (MAPE) levels below 7%.
KeywordsInternet of Things Testbeds Modelling Visualization
We would like to thank Dr. Orestis Evangelatos and Dr. Marios Karagiannis for their initial work and ideas on the deployment and expansion of Syndesi Testbed.
- 2.Baron, L., Klacza, R., Rahman, M.Y., Scognamiglio, C., Kurose, N., Friedman, T., Fdida, S.: Onelab tutorial: a single portal to heterogeneous testbeds. EAI Endorsed Trans. Ubiquitous Environ. 2(6), e4 (2015)Google Scholar
- 4.Fed4fire project. https://www.fed4fire.eu/
- 5.Farina, F., Szegedi, P., Sobieski, J.: Géant world testbed facility: federated and distributed testbeds as a service facility of géant. In: 2014 26th International Teletraffic Congress (ITC), Karlskrona, Sweden, 9–11 September 2014, pp. 1–6 (2014)Google Scholar
- 6.Alexandrou, P., Angelopoulos, C.M., Evangelatos, O., Fernandes, J., Filios, G., Karagiannis, M., Loumis, N., Nikoletseas, S.E., Rankov, A., Raptis, T.P., Rolim, J.D.P., Souroulagkas, A.: A service based architecture for multidisciplinary IoT experiments with crowdsourced resources. In: Ad-hoc, Mobile, and Wireless Networks, 15th International Conference, ADHOC-NOW 2016, Lille, France, 4–6 July 2016, Proceedings, pp. 187–201 (2016)Google Scholar
- 9.Evangelatos, O., Samarasinghe, K., Rolim, J.: Syndesi: a framework for creating personalized smart environments using wireless sensor networks. In: 2013 IEEE International Conference on Distributed Computing in Sensor Systems, pp. 325–330, May 2013Google Scholar
- 10.Unity Technologies: Unity, a cross-platform game engine. https://unity3d.com/