First-Year Seminars and Experiences
First-Year Seminars and Experiences that involve practical, creative work in the performing arts expose students to important academic and personal development habits early in their college careers. These case studies examine the use of performative pedagogies to reinforce the crucial skills that make First-Year Experiences a high-impact practice. Susan Kattwinkel writes about her use of performance creation to embody ethical debate in a course on theatre and ethical choice. Jim Davis outlines a devised theatre project that responds to a survey of political opinions among fellow students in the university. In both cases students learn to integrate personal experience and opinion with those of others to create complex and reasoned responses to difficult and important social issues.
- BCSSE Summary Report 2016. http://bcsse.indiana.edu/pdf/2016/BCSSE16%20Institutional%20Report%20(Grand).pdf. Accessed 14 July 2017.
- Benedetti, Jean. 1990. Stanislavski: His Life and Art—A Biography. London: Methuen Drama.Google Scholar
- Brownell, Jayne Elise, and Lynn Ellen Swaner. 2010. Five High-Impact Practices: Research on Learning Outcomes, Completion and Quality. Washington, DC: Association of American Colleges and Universities.Google Scholar
- Faletta, Jean-Philippe, Jo A. Meier, and J. Ulyses Balderas. 2016. High-Impact Practices: Integrating the First-Year Experience with Service Learning and Study Abroad. In Handbook of Research on Effective Communication in Culturally Diverse Classrooms, ed. Katia Gonzalez and Rhoda Frumkin, 337–355. Hershey, PA: Information Science Reference.Google Scholar
- Fey, Tina. 2011. Bossypants. New York: Little, Brown.Google Scholar
- First-Year Requirement. First-Year Requirement. http://uc.kennesaw.edu/fyts/prospective/requirement.php. Accessed 24 July 2017.
- Itzkioff, Dave. 2011. Hello! Matt Stone and Trey Parker Crash a Class at N.Y.U. The New York Times, September 8.Google Scholar
- KSU 1101: First-Year Seminar. 2016–17 Undergraduate Catalog. http://catalog.kennesaw.edu/index.php?catoid=29. Accessed 30 June 2017.
- Kuh, George D. 2008. High-Impact Educational Practices: What They Are, Who Has Access to Them, and Why They Matter. Washington, DC: Association of American Colleges and Universities.Google Scholar
- LaBare, Martha J., ed. 2008. First-Year Civic Engagement: Solid Foundations for College, Citizenship, and Democracy. http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.474.7700&rep=rep1&type=pdf. Accessed 13 Aug 2017.
- Learning Communities. Kennesaw State University Department of First-Year and Transition Studies. http://uc.kennesaw.edu/fyts/programs/learningcommunities/index.php . Accessed 30 June 2017.
- Learning Outcomes. First-Year Requirement. http://uc.kennesaw.edu/fyts/programs/fys/learning_outcomes.php. Accessed 24 July 2017.
- Mission & History. Arts in Basic Curriculum. http://www.abcprojectsc.com/about/mission-history/. Accessed July 2017.
- Oddey, Alison. 1996. Devising Theatre: A Practical and Theoretical Handbook. Abingdon: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Sabol, F. Robert. Summary of Findings from NCLB: A Study of Its Impact on Art Education Programs. National Art Education Association. https://arteducators-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/documents/455/b496a8f0-4a04-4d79-ba10-058240e7191b.pdf?1452930373. Accessed 14 July 2017.
- Skipper, Tracy L. 2017. What Makes the First-Year Seminar High Impact? An Exploration of Effective Educational Practices. Research Reports on College Transitions No. 7. Columbia: National Resource Center for The First-Year Experience and Students in Transition.Google Scholar
- Spolin, Viola. 1985. Theatre Games for Rehearsal: A Director’s Handbook. Evanston, IL: Northwestern UP.Google Scholar
- Whitehorne, Ron. 2006. NCLB: Taking a Toll on Arts and Music Education. Philadelphia Public School Notebook, May 24. http://thenotebook.org/articles/2006/05/24/nclb-taking-a-toll-on-arts-and-music-education. Accessed 14 July 2017.