A Partial Calculus for Dag Prawitz’s Theory of Grounds and a Decidability Issue
We consider Dag Prawitz’s theory of grounds and suggest a formal apparatus for it. On its basis we show that the account faces a decidability issue similar to one that is often associated with BHK semantics, and propose different readings of the issue that involve different consequences.
KeywordsDecidability Grounding Operation Proof Typing
This work has been carried out thanks to the support of the A*MIDEX grant (n ANR-11-IDEX-0001-02) funded by the French Government “Investissement d’Avenir” program.
- Cozzo, C. 2015. Necessity of thought. In Dag Prawitz on proofs and meaning, ed. H. Wansing, 101–120. Heidelberg: Springer.Google Scholar
- Cozzo, C. 2016. Inference and compulsion. In Second pisa colloquium in logic, language and epistemology, ed. E. Moriconi. Pisa: ETS, forthcoming.Google Scholar
- Crocco, G., and E. Audureau 2003. Intuitionisme et Constructivisme chez Brouwer. In Calcul et formes de l’activité mathématique, ed. J. Boniface, 190–217. Paris: Ellipses.Google Scholar
- Došen, K. 2015. Inferential semantics. In Dag Prawitz on proofs and meaning, ed. H. Wansing, 147–162. Heidelberg: Springer.Google Scholar
- Gentzen, G. 1934–1935. Untersuchungen über das logische Schließen. Matematische Zeitschrift XXXIX: 176–210, 405–431.Google Scholar
- Heyting, A. 1956. Intuitionism. An Introduction. Amsterdam: North-Holland.Google Scholar
- Howard, W. 1980. The formula-as-types notion of construction. In To H. B. Curry: Essays on combinatoriy logic, lambda calculus and formalism, ed. J. R. Hindley and J. P. Seldin, 479–490. London: Academic.Google Scholar
- Kreisel, G. 1962. Foundations of intuitionistic logic. In Logic methodology and philosophy of science, ed. E. Nagel, 198–212. Stanford: Stanford University Press.Google Scholar
- Prawitz, D. 1973. Towards a foundation of a general proof-theory. In Logic methodology and philosophy of science IV, ed. P. Suppes, 225–307. Amsterdam: North-Holland.Google Scholar
- Prawitz, D. 2006. Natural deduction. A proof theoretical study. New York: Dover Publications.Google Scholar
- Prawitz, D. 2009. Inference and knowledge. In The Logica Yearbook 2008, ed. M. Pelis, 175–192. London: College Publications.Google Scholar
- Prawitz, D. 2013. Validity of inferences. In M. Frauchiger, Reference, rationality, and phenomenology: Themes from Føllesdal, 179–204. Ontos Verlag: Dordrecht.Google Scholar
- Prawitz, D. 2015. Explaining deductive inference. In Dag Prawitz on proofs and meaning, ed. H. Wansing, 65–100. Heidelberg: Springer.Google Scholar
- Tranchini, L. 2014. Proof-theoretic semantics, proofs and the distinction between sense and denotation. In Journal of Logic and Computation. https://doi.org/10.1093/logcom/exu028.
- Usberti, G. 2015. A notion of C-justification for empirical statements. In Dag Prawitz on proofs and meaning, ed. H. Wansing, 415–450. Heidelberg: Springer.Google Scholar
- Usberti G. 2017. Inference and epistemic transparency. In “Inferences and proofs”, special issue of TOPOI, ed. G. Crocco, and A. Piccolomini d’Aragona, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11245-017-9497-1.