The chapter introduces the energy balance equation of a generic system. Attention is given to damping energy and plastic energy (Vakakis et al., Nonlinear targeted energy transfer in mechanical and structural systems, vol 156. Springer, Dordrecht, 2008). Two methods are introduced to estimate the damping on the structural systems through experimental techniques: the Logarithmic Decrement Analysis (LDA) and the Half-Power Method (HPM). The ductility factor and the equal displacement criteria is also introduced.
- Baker J, Baker L, Heyman, J (1980) Plastic design of frames 1 fundamentals, vol 1. UP ArchiveGoogle Scholar
- Chopra AK (2017) Dynamics of structures: theory and applications to earthquake engineering, 5th edn. Pearson Education, Inc., Hoboken, 960 ppGoogle Scholar
- Helmholtz HV (1962) Helmholtz’s treatise on physiological optics. Dover, New York, p 42Google Scholar
- Inman DJ (2014) Engineering vibration. Pearson, BostonGoogle Scholar
- Vakakis AF, Gendelman OV, Bergman LA, McFarland DM, Kerschen G, Lee YS (2008) Nonlinear targeted energy transfer in mechanical and structural systems, vol 156. Springer, DordrechtGoogle Scholar