Thoracic Lateral Retropleural Corpectomy
The thoracic retropleural corpectomy technique is somewhat easier than its’ lumbar counterpart. The approach is similar to the discectomy technique, but has to be extended to span the two discs, above and below the pathologic vertebral body. This technique does require resection of a short rib segment, but does not mandate lung deflation. Supplemental fixation with either a lateral plate or posterior pedicle screws is recommended.
T12 corpectomy (MP4 39170 kb)
T7–T8 corpectomy (MP4 41327 kb)
- 1.Vaccaro AR, et al. Reliability of a novel classification system for thoracolumbar injuries: the thoracolumbar injury severity score. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2006;31:S62–9; discussion S104. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.brs.0000218072.25964.a9.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Archavlis E, Papadopoulos N, Ulrich P. Corpectomy in destructive thoracolumbar spine disease: cost-effectiveness of 3 different techniques and implications for cost reduction of delivered care. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2015;40:E433–8. https://doi.org/10.1097/brs.0000000000000782.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Kim DH, et al. Minimally invasive posterolateral thoracic corpectomy: cadaveric feasibility study and report of four clinical cases. Neurosurgery. 2009;64:746–52; discussion 752-753. https://doi.org/10.1227/01.neu.0000340783.83964.27.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 11.Holland CM, Bass DI, Gary MF, Howard BM, Refai D. Thoracic lateral extracavitary corpectomy for anterior column reconstruction with expandable and static titanium cages: clinical outcomes and surgical considerations in a consecutive case series. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2015;129:37–43. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clineuro.2014.11.022.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 14.Ahmadian A, Uribe JS. Mini-open lateral retro-pleural thoracic corpectomy for osteomyelitis. Neurosurg Focus. 2013;35:Video 17. https://doi.org/10.3171/2013.v2.focus13221.