Sustainable Renewable Energy: The Case of Burlington, Vermont
The City of Burlington, Vermont was the first city in America to power 100 percent of its electricity from renewable resources that include wood, hydroelectricity, wind, and solar. This achievement was accomplished over decades through a series of interconnected factors that include strong governmental leadership, regional and state regulatory frameworks for renewable energy and climate change, and innovative policies from the local electric utility, Burlington Electric Department (BED). Many lessons could be learned from this achievement in this small city in the least populated state in the nation. However, significant challenges remain as society grapples with decarbonizing our energy supply which in the United States is still predominantly fossil fuel based.
KeywordsBurlington Vermont Energy efficiency Renewable energy Renewable energy credits (RECs)
- Burlington Electric Department General Information. https://www.burlingtonelectric.com/.
- Burlington Electric Department’s Integrated Resource Plan (2016). https://www.burlingtonelectric.com/irp.
- Burlington Legacy Plan.https://www.burlingtonvt.gov/Sustainability/Legacy-Action-Plan.
- Burlington’s Climate Action Plan and District Energy Study. https://www.burlingtonvt.gov/Sustainability/CAP.
- Efficiency Vermont Information. https://www.efficiencyvermont.com/.
- PBS Special on Burlington, Vermont. http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/vermont-city-come-rely-100-percent-renewable-energy/.
- American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE). State and Local Policy Database. Available at: http://database.aceee.org/.
- Barbose, Galen, Charles Goldman, and Jeff Schlegel. 2009. The Shift Landscape of Ratepayer-Funded Energy Efficiency in the US. Berkeley: Ernest Orlando Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. Available at: https://energy.gov/sites/prod/files/oeprod/DocumentsandMedia/LBNL_Shifting_Landscape_of_Ratepayer_Energy_Efficiency_REPORT.pdf.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Burlington, The Legacy Plan. 2000. Available at: https://www.burlingtonvt.gov/Sustainability/Legacy-Action-Plan.
- Burlington, Vermont Climate Action Plan. 2000. Available at: https://www.burlingtonvt.gov/Sustainability/CAP.
- Burlington. 2017. Mayor Weinberger Joins Open Letter to International Community and Parties to the Paris Agreement Stating “We Are Still In;” Affirms City of Burlington’s Commitment to Paris Agreement Goals. Available at: https://www.burlingtonvt.gov/Press/Mayor-Weinberger-Joins-Open-Letter-to-International-Community-and-Parties-to-the-Paris.
- Burlington Electric Department (BED). n.d. McNeil Generating Station Information. Available at: https://www.burlingtonelectric.com/more-mcneil.
- _______. 2016a. Integrated Resources Plan (IRP). Available at: https://www.burlingtonelectric.com/irp.
- ———. 2016b. Performance Report. Available at: https://www.burlingtonelectric.com/sites/default/files/inline-files/2016_pmr_vfr.pdf.
- California Energy Commission. Renewable Energy Overview and Programs. (2017). Available at: http://www.energy.ca.gov/renewables/. Accessed 25 Sept 2017.
- Dreier and Clavel. 2016. Bernie’s Burlington: What Kind of Mayor Was Bernie Sander’s? Huffington Post, 4 June. Available at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/peter-dreier/bernies-burlington-what-k_b_7510704.html.
- El-Ashry, Mohamed T. 2012. National Policies to Promote Renewable Energy. American Academy of Arts and Sciences 141 (2): 105–111.Google Scholar
- Frederick, Paul and Jaramillo Diana. 2016. Vermont Residual Fuel Assessment. Available at: http://fpr.vermont.gov/sites/fpr/files/About_the_Department/Library/Library/FINAL_2015%20Residential%20Fuel%20Assessment%20Report.pdf.
- Gerwatowski, Ron. 2016. 2016 Report of the Consumer Liaison Group. Available at: https://www.iso-ne.com/staticassets/documents/2017/03/2016_report_of_the_consumer_liaison_group_final.pdf.
- ISO – New England. n.d. Available at: https://www.iso-ne.com/.
- Jacobs, Meg. 2016. Panic at the Pump: The Energy Crisis and the Transformation of American Politics in the 1970s. New York: Hill & Wang.Google Scholar
- McDonnell. 2017. Forget the Paris Agreement. The Real Solution to Climate Change Is in the U.S. Tax Code. Available at: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/10/02/forget-the-paris-agreement-the-real-solution-to-climate-change-is-in-the-u-s-taxcode/?utm_term=.8c16de0261b0.
- National Land Cover Database (NLCD). 2011. Available at: https://www.mrlc.gov/nlcd2011.php.
- National Conference on State Legislatures (NCSL). 2017. State Renewable Portfolio Standards and Goals. Available at: http://www.ncsl.org/research/energy/renewable-portfolio-standards.aspx.
- NBC News. 2016. First Battery-Powered Home Goes Online in Vermont. Available at: http://www.mynbc5.com/article/first-battery-powered-homegoes-online-in-vermont/3327077.
- New England Power Pool Generation Information System (NEPOOL). n.d. Available at: http://www.nepoolgis.com/.
- New York State. n.d. Clean Energy Standard. Available at: https://www.nyserda.ny.gov/All-Programs/Programs/Clean-Energy-Standard.
- Outdoor Industry Association (OIA). 2017. Vermont Outdoor Recreation Economy Report. 26 July. https://outdoorindustry.org/resource/vermontoutdoor-recreation-economy-report/.
- Peters, Adele. 2015. It’s Actually Kinda Easy Being Green. Fast Company 198. Available at: https://www.fastcompany.com/50154/its-easybeing-Green.
- Renewable Energy Vermont (REV). 2016. Renewable Energy Credits. Available at: http://www.revermont.org/wp-content/uploads/REC-Factsheet-REV-4-14-2016.pdf.
- Science News. 2008. Rock Port, Missouri, First 100 Percent Wind-powered Community in U.S. Available at: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/07/080715165441.htm.
- Sierra Club. 2017. Transitioning All Electricity in US Cities to 100% Renewable Energy Will Reduce Carbon Pollution and Help US Meet Paris Climate Agreement Targets. Available at: https://www.sierraclub.org/sites/www.sierraclub.org/files/blog/RF100Report622.pdf.
- Stronberg. 2017. Clean Energy in the Age of Trump Means Federal Preemption of State Incentives. Available at: http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/ugc/articles/2017/07/21/clean-energy-inthe- age-of-trump-means-federal-preemption-of-state-incentives.html.
- US Census. 2010. Decennial Census Population Statistics.Google Scholar
- ———. 2016. American Community Survey Population Statistics.Google Scholar
- US EIA. 2017. Total Energy Overview. https://www.eia.gov/totalenergy/. Accessed 25 Sept 2017.
- US Energy Information Administration (US EIA). 2012. US Petroleum Product Exports Exceed Imports for the First Time in Over Six Decades. https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=5290.
- US Environmental Protection Agency (US EPA). 2017. Inventory of US Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Sinks: 1990–2015. https://www.epa.gov/ghgemissions/inventory-us-greenhouse-gas-emissions-and-sinks-1990-2015. Accessed 25 Sept 2017.
- Vermont Gas. Integrated Resource Plan (IRP). 2017. Available at: http://www.vermontgas.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/2017-IRP.pdf.
- Vermont Public Service Board. 2015. Report on 2015 Energy Efficiency Utility Program Revenues and Expenditures Pursuant to 30 V.S.A. § 209(d)(3)(A). Available at: http://puc.vermont.gov/sites/psbnew/files/doc_library/EEUReportToLegislature2015%28Jan2017%29.pdf.
- ———. 2016. Vermont Comprehensive Energy Plan. Available at: http://publicservice.vermont.gov/publicationsresources/publications/energy_plan/2015_plan.
- White House. 2017. President Trump’s Energy Independence Policy. Available at: https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-pressoffice/2017/03/28/president-trumps-energy-independence-policy.