Environmental Purchasing in the City of Phoenix
US local governments purchase US$1.72 trillion of goods and services annually that contribute to global climate change and other environmental problems. Cities that successfully implement environmental purchasing policies can mitigate these environmental concerns while saving money and demonstrating their environmental leadership. However, cities confront numerous challenges when implementing an environmental purchasing policy. This chapter identifies the facilitators and barriers of implementing an environmental purchasing policy. It draws on the experiences within the City of Phoenix as an example and offers eight recommendations for how the City of Phoenix and similar cities can integrate environmental purchasing more fully into their existing purchasing processes.
KeywordsGreen purchasing Green procurement Environmental purchasing Sustainable purchasing Sustainable procurement Facilitators Barriers Implementation Public policy
The authors thank the City of Phoenix for the opportunity to undertake this research and the V. Kann Rasmussen Foundation for its financial support.
- Darnall N, Stritch JM, Bretschneider S, Hsueh L, Duscha M, Iles J, No W, Suarez J, Burwell C. 2017. Advancing Green Purchasing in Local Governments. Phoenix: Arizona State University, Center for Organization Research and Design, Sustainable Purchasing Research Initiative.Google Scholar
- Darnall N, Stritch JM, Bretschneider S, Hsueh L, and No W. 2017. Going Green on Purchasing: Eight Practices to Reduce Environmental Impacts. Public Management Magazine 27 (August): 28–29.Google Scholar
- Gardiner, D. 2017. Mayor Greg Stanton: Despite U.S. Withdrawal, Phoenix Will Support Paris Climate Pact. AZ Central, June 1. azcentral.com/story/news/local/phoenix/2017/06/02/mayor-greg-stanton-despite-u-s-withdrawal-phoenix-support-paris-climate-pact/363450001/. Last accessed 5 Sept 2017.
- Case S. 2004. Policy Updates Inspire Environmental Purchasing. American City & County. Accessed 13 Feb 2014.Google Scholar
- City of Phoenix. 2007. Resolution 20519. A Resolution of the City of Phoenix on Environmentally Preferable Purchasing. https://www.phoenix.gov/oepsite/Documents/031916.pdf. Accessed 26 Jan 2018.
- ———. 2012. Phoenix EPP Policy. https://www.phoenix.gov/oepsite/Documents/070520.pdf. Accessed 26 Jan 2018.
- ———. 2014. Development of 2050 Sustainability Goals and Targets. Environmental Quality Commission. November 20. https://www.phoenix.gov/oepsite/Documents/Sustainability%202050%20Goals%20Presentation%20%2011.20.14.pdf. Accessed 26 Jan 2018.
- ———. 2017a. Environmental Sustainability Goals. https://www.phoenix.gov/sustainability. Accessed 26 Jan 2018.
- ———. 2017b. Initial Phase for LED Street Light Conversion Work Begins August 14. https://www.phoenix.gov/news/streets/1786. Accessed 26 Jan 2018.
- ———. 2017c. LED Streetlight Program. https://www.phoenix.gov/streets/neighborhood-matters/street-light-information/led. Accessed 26 Jan 2018.
- Coggburn, J.D. 2003. Exploring Differences in the American States’ Procurement Practices. Journal of Public Procurement 3 (1): 3–28.Google Scholar
- Darnall, N., J.M. Stritch, S. Bretschneider, L. Hsueh, M. Duscha, J. Iles, W. No, J. Suarez, and C. Burwell. 2017. Advancing Green Purchasing in Local Governments. Phoenix: Arizona State University, Center for Organization Research and Design, Sustainable Purchasing Research Initiative.Google Scholar
- Faller, M.B. 2017. ASU Initiative Helping Cities to Become More Sustainable. ASU Now, 6 July. https://asunow.asu.edu/20170705-arizona-impact-asu-initiative-helping-cities-become-more-sustainable. Accessed 26 Jan 2018.
- Forbes. 2015. America’s Fastest Growing Cities in 2015. https://www.forbes.com/pictures/emeg45eegeg/11-phoenix-ariz-3/#1dfdd43f15b7. Accessed 26 Jan 2018.
- Gardiner, D. 2017. Mayor Greg Stanton: Despite U.S. Withdrawal, Phoenix Will Support Paris Climate Pact. AZ Central, June 1. www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/phoenix/2017/06/02/mayor-greg-stanton-despite-u-s-withdrawal-phoenix-support-paris-climate-pact/363450001/. Last Accessed 26 Jan 2018.
- Krueger, Richard E. and Casey, Mary. Designing and Conducting Focus Group Interviews. Social Analysis: Selected Tools and Techniques. World Bank, Social Development Papers. Paper Number 36: (2001). pp. 4-23.Google Scholar
- Merton, Robert K., Marjorie Fiske, and Patricia L. Kendall. 1956. The Focused Interview. Glencoe: The Free Press.Google Scholar
- Newberry, B. 2017. ASU Research Informs City of Phoenix on Eco-friendly Buying. ASU Now, 3 March. https://www.asunow.asu.edu/20170303-asu-research-informs-city-phoenix-eco-friendly-buying. Accessed 26 Jan 2018.
- US Census Bureau. 2016. State and Local Government Finances by Level of Government and by State: 2013–2014. https://www2.census.gov/govs/local/14slsstab1a.xls. Accessed 26 Jan 2018.
- US Census. 2017a. Community Facts. Selected: Philadelphia City, Pennsylvania; Phoenix City, Arizona; Houston City, Texas; Chicago City, Illinois; Los Angeles City, California; New York City, New York. https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/philadelphiacitypennsylvania,phoenixcityarizona,houstoncitytexas,chicagocityillinois,losangelescitycalifornia,newyorkcitynewyork/PST045216. Accessed 26 Jan 2018.
- ———. Community Facts. Estimates of Resident Population Change and Rankings: July 1, 2015 to July 1, 2016. 2017b.Google Scholar
- US Climate Change Science Program. 2008. In Weather and Climate Extremes in a Changing Climate, ed. T.R. Karl et al. Washington, DC: Department of Commerce, NOAA’s National Climatic Data Center.Google Scholar
- US Climate Mayors. 2018. 391 US Climate Mayors Commit to Adopt, Honor and Uphold Paris Climate Agreement goals. https://medium.com/@ClimateMayors/climate-mayors-commit-to-adopt-honor-and-uphold-paris-climate-agreement-goals-ba566e260097. Accessed 26 Jan 2018.
- US Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA). 2006. Life Cycle Assessment: Principles and Practice. Washington, DC: USEPA, National Risk Management Research Laboratory, Office of Research and Development.Google Scholar
- ———. 2017. EPA’s Recommendations of Specifications, Standards, and Ecolabels for Federal Purchasing. https://www.epa.gov/greenerproducts/epas-recommendations-specifications-standards-and-ecolabels-federal-purchasing. Accessed 26 Jan 2018.
- US General Services Administration. 2014. Remarks by GSA Administrator Dan Tangherlini at SPLC’s 2014 Summit. https://www.sustainablepurchasing.org/blog/2014/05/24/remarks-by-gsa-administrator-dan-tangherlini-at-splcs-2014-summit/. Accessed 26 Jan 2018.
- United Nations Environmental Programme. 2012. The Impacts of Sustainable Public Procurement: Eight Illustrative Case Studies. Paris: United Nations Environmental Programme.Google Scholar
- Wittlinger, S. 2011. The Urban Heat Island: Jeopardizing the Sustainability of Phoenix. Policy Points 3 (3): 1–3.Google Scholar
- World Population Review. 2017. Phoenix Population 2017. www.worldpopulationreview.com/us-cities/phoenix-population/. Accessed 26 Jan 2018.