This chapter acknowledges that businesses are increasingly considering environmental stewardship and social responsibility goals equal to profit-making goals. These businesses take an expanded view of stakeholders and are transparent about operations. They set environmental goals such as stewardship of biodiversity and water resources and minimizing carbon footprint, and social goals such as inclusion and diversity. They focus on the environmental impacts of their supply chain and partner with other firms, governmental organizations, and non-profits to address critical environmental and social issues. To highlight sustainable business practices, a case study of Counter Culture Coffee, a small, privately held coffee distributor, is offered. Lessons learned from Counter Culture include the value of experimentation and the need to both measure and communicate successes and failures.
KeywordsEnvironmental stewardship Corporate social responsibility Sustainable business strategy Stakeholders Partnerships Supply chain
- B Impact Assessment Case Studies: 15,000+ Businesses Are Using This Tool to Improve Their Business. Here’s What They’re Saying About Their Experience. http://bimpactassessment.net/case-studies. Accessed 1 Aug 2016.
- Epstein, M.J., and A.R. Buhovac. 2014. Making Sustainability Work: Best Practices in Managing and Measuring Corporate Social, Environmental, and Economic Impacts. San Francisco: Berrett-Koehler.Google Scholar
- Gallagher, Deborah Rigling. 2014. The United Nations Global Compact: Forum for Environmental Leadership. In The UN Millennium Development Goals, The Global Compact and the Common Good, ed. Oliver Williams, 271–281. South Bend: Notre Dame University Press.Google Scholar
- United Nations Global Compact A: Guide for Responsible Engagement in Climate Policy. 2013. https://www.unglobalcompact.org/docs/issues_doc/Environment/climate/Guide_Responsible_Corporate_Engagement_Climate_Policy.pdf. Accessed 1 Aug 2016.
- United Nations Global Compact B: Executive Guide for Carbon Pricing Leadership. 2015. https://www.unglobalcompact.org/docs/issues_doc/Environment/climate/CarbonPricingExecutiveGuide.pdf. Accessed 1 Aug 2016.
- Winston, A. 2014. The Big Pivot: Radically Practical Strategies for a Hotter, Scarcer, and More Open World. Cambridge, MA: Harvard Business Review Press.Google Scholar