Enduring Bonds of Place: Personhood and the Loss of Home
This chapter seeks to examine not only the regional problems of population disruption in South-Eastern Europe, but also to set our concerns in an overall perspective, namely that of global migration. Nostalgia is not asynchronic; it needs to be related to the overall context of modernity, and indeed of post-modernity. In order to react appropriately to these contemporary demographic upheavals, we need to exercise empathy and imagine ourselves into the perceptions of people whose thinking about their place is rather different from our own. We are called upon to enter imaginatively into the degree of disruption experienced by individuals removed from the place where these relationships are the essence of being.
I am grateful to Marilou Polymeropoulou and Oska Paul for research assistance in preparing this chapter, and to Penny Costley-White for helpful editorial comments.
- Allen, T., ed. 1996. In Search of Cool Ground: War, Flight and Homecoming in Northeastern Africa. London/Trenton: James Curry/Africa World Press.Google Scholar
- Baric, L. 1967. Levels of Change in Yugoslav Kinship. In Social Organization: Essays Presented to Raymond Firth, ed. M. Freedman. Chicago: Aldine Press.Google Scholar
- Barutciski, M. 1998. Tensions Between the Refugee Concept and the IDP Debate. Forced Migration Review 3: 11–14.Google Scholar
- Benjamin, W. 2016. The Storyteller: Tales Out of Loneliness. Ed. S. Dolbear, et al. London: Verso Books.Google Scholar
- Betts, A. 2015. Human Migration Will Be a Defining Issue of This Century. How Best to Cope? http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/sep/20/migrants-refugees-asylum-seekers-21st-century-trend. Last accessed 4 Dec 2015.
- Boym, S. 2001. The Future of Nostalgia. New York: Basic Books.Google Scholar
- Čapo Žmegač, J. 2007. Strangers Either Way: The Lives of Croatian Refugees in Their New Home. Oxford/New York: Berghahn Books.Google Scholar
- Carsten, J., and S. Hugh-Jones, eds. 1995. About the House: Levi-Strauss and Beyond. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Castells, M. 2010 . The Rise of the Network Society: Information Age: Economy, Society, and Culture. Chichester: Wiley-Blackwell.Google Scholar
- Castells, S., and M.J. Miller. 2009. The Age of Migration: International Population Movements in the Modern World. 4th ed. Basingstoke/New York: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Cernea, M. 1994. Population, Resettlement, and Development. In Finance and Development. Washington, DC: International Monetary Fund and World Bank.Google Scholar
- Cernea, M., and E. Ferris. 2014. Is the World Bank Retreating from Protecting People Displaced by Its Policies? http://www.brookings.edu/blogs/up-front/posts/2014/11/24-safeguards-displacement-ferris. Accessed 4 Dec 2015.
- Chatwin, B. 1987. The Songlines. London: Vintage.Google Scholar
- Colson, E. 1962. The Plateau Tonga of Northern Rhodesia (Zambia). Manchester: University Press.Google Scholar
- ———. 1971. The Social Consequences of Resettlement: The Impact of the Kariba Resettlement Upon the Gwembe Tonga. Manchester: University Press.Google Scholar
- Daniel, V. 1984. Fluid Signs: Being a Person the Tamil Way. Berkeley/Los Angeles/London: University of California Press.Google Scholar
- de Boeck, F. 1998. The Rootedness of Trees: Place as Cultural and Natural Texture in Rural Southwest Congo. In Locality and Belonging, ed. N. Lovell. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Dikomitis, L. 2009. Places of Desire: Notions of ‘Place’ and ‘Home’ Among Greek and Turkish Cypriot Refugees. Ghent: Universiteit Ghent.Google Scholar
- Douglass, W.A. 1969. Death in Murelaga: Funerary Ritual in a Spanish Basque Village, American Ethnological Society Monographs. Seattle: University of Washington Press.Google Scholar
- Downing, T.E. 1996. Mitigating Social Impoverishment When People Are Involuntarily Displaced. In Understanding Impoverishment: The Consequences of Development-Induced Displacement, ed. C. McDowell. Providence: Berghahn Books.Google Scholar
- du Boulay, J. 2009. Cosmos, Life and Liturgy in a Greek Orthodox Village. Limni: Denise Harvey.Google Scholar
- Goldenberg, S. 2015. Coalition of Business Leaders Challenges 2C Climate Change Target. http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/dec/06/paris-climate-change-summitrichard-branson. Accessed 4 Dec 2015.
- Greek Refugee Settlement Commission. 1926. Greece: Quarterly Report. Geneva: League of Nations.Google Scholar
- Halilovich, H. 2013. Places of Pain: Forced Displacement, Popular Memory and Trans-Local Identities in Bosnian War-Torn Communities. Oxford/New York: Berghahn Books.Google Scholar
- Hirschon, R. 1998 . Heirs of the Greek Catastrophe: The Social Life of Asia Minor Refugees in Piraeus. Oxford/New York: Berghahn Books.Google Scholar
- ———, ed. 2003. Crossing the Aegean: An Appraisal of the 1923 Compulsory Population Exchange Between Greece and Turkey. Oxford/New York: Berghahn Books.Google Scholar
- ———. 2009. Religion and Nationality: The Tangled Greek Case. In When God Comes to Town: Anthropological Perspectives on Religion and Secularization, ed. R. Pinxten and L. Dikomitis. Oxford/New York: Berghahn Books.Google Scholar
- ———. 2014. History, Memory and Emotion: The Long Term Significance of the 1923 Greco-Turkish Population Exchange. In When Greeks and Turks Meet: Interdisciplinary Perspectives on the Relationship Since 1923, ed. V. Lytra. London: Ashgate.Google Scholar
- Jenkins, T. 2010. The Life of Property: House, Family and Inheritance in Bearn, South-West France. Oxford/New York: Berghahn Books.Google Scholar
- Kain Hart, L. 1991. Time, Religion, and Social Experience in Rural Greece. Lanham: Rowland and Littlefield.Google Scholar
- Korac, M. 2009. Remaking Home: Reconstructing Life, Place and Identity in Rome and Amsterdam. New York/Oxford: Berghahn Books.Google Scholar
- Leenhardt, M. 1979. Do Kamo: Person and Myth in the Melanesian World. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- McAdam, J., ed. 2012. Climate Change and Displacement: Multidisciplinary Perspectives. Oxford/Portland: Hart Publishing.Google Scholar
- Ott, S. 1993. The Circle of Mountains. Oxford: Clarendon.Google Scholar
- Papadopoulos, R., ed. 2002. Therapeutic Care for Refugees: No Place Like Home. London/New York: Karnac.Google Scholar
- Prodromou, E. 1998. Democracy and Religious Transformation in Greece: An Underappreciated Theoretical and Empirical Primer. In The Orthodox Church in a Changing World, ed. P. Kitromilides and T. Veremis. Athens: ELIAMEP, Centre for Asia Minor Studies.Google Scholar
- Relph, E. 1976. Place and Placelessness. London: SAGE Publications.Google Scholar
- Rheubottom, D.B. 1976. Time and Form: Contemporary Macedonia Households and the Zadruga Controversy. In Communal Families in the Balkans, ed. R. Byrnes. Notre Dame: Notre Dame University Press.Google Scholar
- Sandel, M. 2012. What Money Can’t Buy: The Moral Limits to Markets. New York: Farrar, Strauss and Girard.Google Scholar
- Scudder, T., and E. Colson. 1982. From Welfare to Development: A Conceptual Framework for the Analysis of Displaced People. In Involuntary Migration and Resettlement: The Problems and Responses of Dislocated People, ed. A. Hansen and A. Oliver-Smith. Boulder: Westview Press.Google Scholar
- Turton, D. 1996. Migrants and Refugees: A Mursi Case Study. In In Search of Cool Ground: War, Flight and Homecoming in Northeastern Africa, ed. T. Allen. London/Trenton: James Curry/Africa World Press.Google Scholar
- UNHCR. 2015a. Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees Global Annual Report. http://unhcr.org/556725e69.html. Accessed 2 Dec 2015.
- ———. 2015b. Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees. http://data.unhcr.org/mediterranean/download.php?id=355, http://data.unhcr.org/mediterranean/documents.php? Accessed 8 Jan 2016.
- ———. 2015c. Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees. http://data.unhcr.org/mediterranean/download.php?id=381, http://data.unhcr.org/mediterranean/documents.php? Accessed 13 Jan 2016.
- ———. 2015d. Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees. http://data.unhcr.org/mediterranean/download.php?id=461, http://data.unhcr.org/mediterranean/documents.php? Accessed 8 Jan 2016.
- Ware, T. 1993. The Orthodox Church. London/New York: Penguin Books.Google Scholar
- Yalçın, K. 1998. Emanet Çeyiz: Mübadele İnsanları [The Entrusted Trousseau: Peoples of the Exchange]. Istanbul: Belge Uluslararası Yayıncılık.Google Scholar