Price Fluctuation in Online Leasing
Current theoretical attempts towards understanding real-life leasing scenarios assume the following leasing model. Demands arrive with time and need to be served by leased resources. Different types of leases are available, each with a fixed duration and price, respecting economy of scale (longer leases cost less per unit time). An online algorithm is to serve each arriving demand while minimizing the total leasing costs and without knowing future demands. In this paper, we generalize this model into one in which lease prices fluctuate with time and are not known to the algorithm in advance. Hence, an online algorithm is to perform under the uncertainty of both demands and lease prices. We consider different adversarial models and provide online algorithms, evaluated using standard competitive analysis. For each of these models, we give deterministic matching upper and lower bounds.
KeywordsOnline algorithms Leasing Infrastructure problems Parking permit problem Ski-rental problem
- 1.Abshoff, S., Kling, P., Markarian, C., Meyer auf der Heide, F., Pietrzyk, P.: Towards the price of leasing online. J. Comb. Optim., 1–20 (2015)Google Scholar
- 7.Hu, X., Ludwig, A., Richa, A., Schmid, S.: Competitive strategies for online cloud resource allocation with discounts: the 2-dimensional parking permit problem. In: 35th IEEE International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems, ICDCS 2015, pp. 93–102. Columbus, OH, USA, 29 June–2 July 2015Google Scholar
- 9.Karp, R.M.: Online algorithms versus offline algorithms: how much is it worth to know the future? In: Algorithms, Software, Architecture - Information Processing 1992, Proceedings of the IFIP 12th World Computer Congress, vol. 1, pp. 416–429. Madrid, Spain, 7–11 September 1992Google Scholar
- 12.Markarian, C., Meyer auf der Heide, F.: Online resource leasing. In: Proceedings of the 2015 ACM Symposium on Principles of Distributed Computing, PODC 2015, pp. 343–344. Donostia-San Sebastián, Spain, 21–23 July 2015Google Scholar
- 13.Meyerson, P.: The parking permit problem. In: Proceedings of 46th Annual IEEE Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science (FOCS 2005), pp. 274–284. Pittsburgh, PA, USA, 23–25 October 2005Google Scholar