Resources to Grow Your Leadership Skills
Current surgical practice now necessitates not only expertise in medical knowledge and surgical technique but also mastery of modern leadership skills. Surgeons are the obvious leader in the operating room, but this is no longer the only setting in which leadership abilities are needed. The health-care system suffers from a scarcity of physician involvement in organizational management. Physician leaders are needed to participate in the administrative, financial, research, and quality improvement initiatives of their institutions to shape policies and to advance the health-care system for the benefits of patients.
KeywordsLeadership Organizational management Health care system Leadership resources
- 1.Page SE. The difference: how the power of diversity creates better groups, firms, schools, and societies. Princeton: Princeton University Press; 2008.Google Scholar
- 4.American Medical Student Association. Leadership program. https://www.amsa.org/events/new-amsa-leadership-program/.
- 10.Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education. http://www.acgme.org.
- 11.American College of Surgeons. Residents as Teachers and Leaders. https://www.facs.org/education/division-of-education/courses/residents-as-teachers.
- 12.Association for Academic Surgery. AAS Fall Courses. http://www.aasurg.org/meetings/fallcourses.php.
- 13.American College of Surgeons. Leadership and Advocacy Summit. https://www.facs.org/advocacy/participate/.
- 16.Society of University Surgeons. Leadership agility program. http://www.susweb.org/leadership-development-program.
- 17.Association of American Medical Colleges. Leadership development.Google Scholar
- 18.American College of Surgeons. Surgeons as leaders: from operating room to boardroom. https://www.facs.org/education/division-of-education/courses/surgeons-as-leaders.
- 19.AAMC. Women in US Academic Medicine and Science: statistics and benchmarking report. https://www.aamc.org/members/gwims/statistics/.
- 21.Executive Leadership in Academic Medicine. Drexel University College of Medicine. http://drexel.edu/medicine/Academics/Womens-Health-and-Leadership/ELAM/About-ELAM/.
- 24.Society of Black Academic Surgeons. SBAS Leadership and Faculty Development Institute. http://www.sbas.net/.
- Essentialism, Greg McKeownGoogle Scholar
- First, Break all the Rules, Marcus Buckingham and Curt CoffmanGoogle Scholar
- Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement without Giving In, Roger FisherGoogle Scholar
- Lean In, Sheryl SandbergGoogle Scholar
- Multipliers: How the Best Leaders Make Everyone Smarter, Liz WisemanGoogle Scholar
- Start With Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action, Simon SinekGoogle Scholar
- Team of Teams, New Rules of Engagement for a Complex World, General Stanley McChrystal, Tantum Collins, David Silverman, and Chris FussellGoogle Scholar
- The Cost of Bad Behavior – How Incivility is Damaging Your Business and What to do About It, Christine Pearson and Christine PorathGoogle Scholar
- The Difference: How the Power of Diversity Creates Better Groups, Firms, Schools, and Societies, Scott E. PageGoogle Scholar
- The Practice of Adaptive Leadership, Ronald D. Heifetz, Alexander Grashow, and Marty LinskyGoogle Scholar
- Turn the Ship Around: A True Story of Turning Followers into Leaders, L. David MarquetGoogle Scholar