End-Effector Precise Hand-Guiding for Collaborative Robots
Hand-guiding is a main functionality of collaborative robots, allowing to rapidly and intuitively interact and program a robot. Many applications require end-effector precision positioning during the teaching process. This paper presents a novel method for precision hand-guiding at the end-effector level. From the end-effector force/torque measurements the hand-guiding force/torque (HGFT) is achieved by compensating for the tools weight/inertia. Inspired by the motion properties of a passive mechanical system, mass subjected to coulomb/viscous friction, it was implemented a control scheme to govern the linear/angular motion of the decoupled end-effector. Experimental tests were conducted in a KUKA iiwa robot in an assembly operation.
KeywordsHand-guiding Collaborative robot End-effector
This research was partially supported by Portugal 2020 project DM4Manufacturing POCI-01-0145-FEDER-016418 by UE/FEDER through the program COMPETE 2020, the European Unions Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 688807 - ColRobot project, and the Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT) SFRH/BD/131091/2017.
- 2.Neto, P., Pereira, D., Pires, J.N., Moreira, A.P.: Real-time and continuous hand gesture spotting: an approach based on artificial neural networks. In: 2013 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), pp. 178–183 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1109/ICRA.2013.6630573
- 7.Fujii, M., Murakami, H., Sonehara, M.: Study on application of a human-robot collaborative system using hand-guiding in a production line. IHI Eng. Rev. 49(1), 24–29 (2016)Google Scholar
- 8.Lee, S.D., Ahn, K.H., Song, J.B.: Torque control based sensorless hand guiding for direct robot teaching. In: 2016 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), pp. 745–75 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1109/IROS.2016.7759135
- 10.Kosuge, K., Yoshida, H., Fukuda, T.: Dynamic control for robot-human collaboration. In: Proceedings of the 2nd IEEE International Workshop on Robot and Human Communication, pp. 398–401 (1993). https://doi.org/10.1109/ROMAN.1993.367685
- 11.Geravand, M., Flacco, F., De Luca, A.: Human-robot physical interaction and collaboration using an industrial robot with a closed control architecture. In: 2013 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, pp. 4000–4007 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1109/ICRA.2013.6631141
- 12.Hanses, M., Behrens, R., Elkmann, N.: Hand-guiding robots along predefined geometric paths under hard joint constraints. In: 2016 IEEE 21st International Conference on Emerging Technologies and Factory Automation (ETFA), pp. 1–5 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1109/ETFA.2016.7733600