The Future of Psychiatry: Early Career Psychiatrists
Early career psychiatrists (ECPs) are defined as psychiatry trainees and psychiatrists in their first 7 years since finishing specialty training in their respective home countries. Although this may be a critical moment in the careers of new psychiatrists, it also can be an important period for development and achievement. The goal of this chapter is to briefly state the many possible areas of action for early career psychiatrists, to increase awareness of their current importance, and to stress their crucial role in the future of psychiatry.
KeywordsTrainees Residents Early career psychiatrists Psychiatric training Medical education
- 1.WPA. ECP section terms of reference. 2015. wpanet.org. http://www.wpanet.org/uploads/Sections/Early_Career_Psychiatrists/ECP_Section_Terms_of_reference.pdf. Accessed 10 Jan 2017.
- 2.El Kholy H, Riese F, Picon F. Early career psychiatrists section. In: Early Career Psychiatrists, World Psychiatric Association. 2015. http://www.wpanet.org/detail.php?section_id=11&category_id=199&content_id=1703. Accessed 10 Jan 2017.
- 3.Psaras R. Young Psychiatrists’ Network – 2nd congress of early career psychiatrists. In: YPSNET. 2016. http://www.ypsnet.org/index.php/about-ypn/previous-meetings/item/10-2nd-congress-of-early-career-psychiatrists. Accessed 16 Feb 2017.
- 4.Insel T. Post by Former NIMH Director Thomas Insel: psychiatry: where are we going? In: National Institutes of Health. 2011. https://www.nimh.nih.gov/about/directors/thomas-insel/blog/2011/psychiatry-where-are-we-going.shtml. Accessed 10 Jan 2017.
- 6.Institute of Medicine. Research training in psychiatry residency. Washington, D.C.: National Academies Press; 2004.Google Scholar
- 18.Baessler F, Riese F, Pinto da Costa M, de Picker L, Kazakova O, Kanellopoulos A, Grassl R, Gargot T, European Federation of Psychiatric Trainees, Marisa Casanova Dias. Becoming a psychiatrist in Europe: the title is recognized across the European Union, but what are the differences in training, salary and working hours? World Psychiatry. 2015;14:372–3.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.Education, W. P. A. W. F. F. M. Core curriculum in psychiatry for medical students; 1998.Google Scholar
- 27.Fiorillo A, Pinto da Costa M, Nakamae T, Puspanathan P, Riese F, Picon F, Elkholy H. Associations of early career psychiatrists worldwide: history, role, and future perspectives. MECPsych. 2016;23(1):3–9.Google Scholar
- 28.Pinto da Costa M, et al. Global mental health – EFPT Porto forum 2015. IJCNMH. 2015;2(Suppl. 1):1. http://ijcnmh.arc-publishing.org/uploads/article/file/68/IJCNMH_2015.S1.1.pdf Google Scholar