A Complex Case of Stimulants and Related Pathologies
The use of stimulants to treat disorders such as attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) has become commonplace, though it continues to represent a clinical complexity due to the prevalence of stimulant use disorder. Here, we present a brief review of the literature centered on a case involving both disorders and their associations. We provide a discussion of the relevant neurophysiology as well as various pharmacological agents which can be used to treat or manage symptoms.
KeywordsStimulant use disorder ADHD Cocaine Methylphenidate Modafinil
- 2.American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association; 2000.Google Scholar
- 3.Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. Results from the 2008 National Survey on Drug Use and Health: National Findings (Office of Applied Studies, NSDUH Series H-36, HHS Publication No. SMA 09–4434). Rockville: 2009.Google Scholar
- 12.Curtis EK. Meth mouth: a review of methamphetamine abuse and its oral manifestations. Gen Dent. 2005;54(2):125–9.Google Scholar
- 14.Pérez-Mañá C, Castells X, Torrens M, Capellà D, Farre M. Efficacy of psychostimulant drugs for amphetamine abuse or dependence. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013;2(9):CD009695.Google Scholar
- 17.Katusic SK, Barbaresi WJ, Colligan RC, Weaver AL, Leibson CL, Jacobsen SJ. Psychostimulant treatment and risk for substance abuse among young adults with a history of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: a population-based, birth cohort study. J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol. 2005;15(5):764–76.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 19.Kessler RC, Adler L, Barkley R, Biederman J, Conners CK, Demler O, Faraone SV, Greenhill LL, Howes MJ, Secnik K, Spencer T. The prevalence and correlates of adult ADHD in the United States: results from the national comorbidity survey replication. Am J Psychiatr. 2006;163(4):716–23.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 24.American Society of Addiction Medicine [Internet]. What is the ASAM Criteria. [cited 2016 Aug 15]. Available from: http://www.asam.org/quality-practice/guidelines-and-consensus-documents/the-asam-criteria/about
- 26.Download Guidelines – CADDRA – Canadian ADHD Resource Alliance [Internet]. Caddra.ca. 2016 [cited 18 September 2016]. Available from: http://www.caddra.ca/practice-guidelines/download.
- 28.Prescribing Drugs|Policy|Policies & Publications|College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario [Internet]. Cpso.on.ca. 2016 [cited 1 September 2016]. Available from: http://www.cpso.on.ca/Policies-Publications/Policy/Prescribing-Drugs#2.Specific.