Measuring Progress in E-Participation in Russia: The Results of a Multi-method Case Study
The paper describes a scientific research on e-participation development in Russia. The portal “Russian Public Initiative” has become the research object. This e-participation portal considers to be an official e-petition portal in Russia and was launched in 2013. However, the results of its work are not obvious.
In the research, we appealed to the international practice and the national context (revealed after an expert poll) and conducted an analysis of an e-petition portal by using a combination of factors and criteria. The data describing the institutional factors, the results of previously conducted expert poll on e-participation barriers, and applied automated tool to assess the portal operation for the period 2013–2017 was used in the survey.
The results show the efficiency through analysis of quantitative data on petitions’ publication, votes for and against the petitions, as well as a qualitative assessment of regulations and decision-making on the petitions that collected the necessary number of votes.
KeywordsE-petition portal Success factors Social efficiency Case-study
This work was conducted with support of the Grant of the President of the Russian Federation to young scientists №MK-5953.2016.6 “The research of e-participation tools development factors in Russian Federation”.
- 1.E-Government Survey. UN Report (2016). http://workspace.unpan.org/sites/Internet/Documents/UNPAN96407.pdf
- 5.Ter’an, L., Drobnjak, A.: An evaluation framework for eParticipation: the VAAs case study. Int. Sch. Sci. Res. Innov. 7(1), 77–85 (2013)Google Scholar
- 14.Satish, K., Teo, T.S.H., Lim, V.K.G.: Contextual factors, e-participation, and e-government development: testing a multiple-mediation model. In: Proceedings of PACIS 2012, p. 113 (2012). http://aisel.aisnet.org/pacis2012/113
- 16.Scherer, S., Wimmer, M.: Trust in e-participation: literature review and emerging needs. In: Proceedings of ICEGOV 2014, pp. 61–70 (2014). doi: 10.1145/2691195.2691237
- 17.Charalabidis, Y., Tsitsanis, T., Koussouris, S., Matzakou, I.: Momentum Deliverable 2.7: E-Participation Projects Consolidated Results (2013). http://www.epomentum.eu/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=3pkZY45Ect8%3d&tabid=57&mid=492
- 18.Vidiasova, L., Mikhaylova, E.: E-participation tools: barriers for development in Russia. Inf. Resour. Russ. 6, 31–33 (2016). in RussianGoogle Scholar
- 19.Federal law №59: On the order debated the requests of citizens of the Russian Federation. From 21.04.2006 (2006)Google Scholar
- 20.Presidential decree of the Russian Federation № 601: On the main directions of governance improvement. From 07.05.2012 (2012)Google Scholar
- 21.State Program “Information Society” (2011-2010). The Russian government regulation №313 from 13.04.2014 (2014)Google Scholar
- 22.The decree of the President of the Russian Federation №183 of 4.03.2013: On consideration of public initiatives directed by citizens of the Russian Federation using the Internet portal “Russian Public Initiative” (2013)Google Scholar