Comprehensive Approaches Using Technology to Address Mental Health
Positive mental health for adolescents is a critical building block for their current and future well-being. More mental health burden can lead to poor outcomes which can have lifelong consequences including attempted or completed suicide. Supporting adolescents in recognizing, accepting, and getting help for mental health issues is paramount in reducing the likelihood of poor outcomes. Adolescents, however, are developmentally and emotionally different than adults and therefore need interventions and supports that are targeted to their needs. The uptake of technology by adolescents is significant. Using technology as one approach to engage adolescents and provide them with supports that educate on mental health, reduces mental health stigma, and promotes help seeking is one option. The goal of this chapter is to provide clinicians with information and strategies on how to access and incorporate approaches that support positive adolescent mental health into their clinical practice.
We R Native is supported, in part, with funds from the Indian Health Service and the Secretary’s Minority AIDS Initiative Fund.
- 6.Yap MBH, Wright A, Jorm AF. The influence of stigma on young people’s help-seeking intentions and beliefs about the helpfulness of various sources of help. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. 2011;46(12):1257–65.Google Scholar
- 9.Cash SJ, Bridge JA. Meeting them where they are: An exploration of technology use and help seeking behaviors among adolescents and young adults. San Francisco: American Association of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry; 2012.Google Scholar
- 10.Keyes S, Cash S. ReachOut.com March 2012 User Survey. Inspire USA Foundation; 2012.
- 11.Duggan M. Mobile Messaging and Social Media 2015 [Internet]. Pew Research Center: Internet, Science & Tech. 2015 [cited 2017 Mar 10]. http://www.pewinternet.org/2015/08/19/mobile-messaging-and-social-media-2015/
- 12.Lenhart A. Teens, Social Media & Technology Overview 2015 [Internet]. Pew Research Center: Internet, Science & Tech. 2015 [cited 2017 Mar 10]. http://www.pewinternet.org/2015/04/09/teens-social-media-technology-2015/
- 13.Our story | About ReachOut Australia [Internet] [cited 2017 Mar 9]. http://about.au.reachout.com/us/story/
- 14.What we do | About ReachOut Australia [Internet] [cited 2017 Mar 9]. http://about.au.reachout.com/what-we-do/
- 16.Kessler, R.C., Andrews, G., Colpe, LJ, Hiripi, E.Short screening scales to monitor population prevalences and trends in non-specific psychological distress. Psychological Medicine. 2002;32(6):959–76.Google Scholar
- 17.Metcalf AT, Ivancic L, Blake V, Buhagiar K, Wilson C, Kauer S, et al. ReachOut.com Cohort study: a prospective follow-up study examining the role of online initiatives in promoting mental health literacy and early help-seeking. Montreal: International Association for Youth Mental Health; 2016.
- 18.Center for Native American Youth. Drawing strength from our cultures: State of Native Youth 2016. In: State of Native Youth Report 2016. The Aspen Institute.Google Scholar
- 19.Bureau USC. American FactFinder - Results [Internet] [cited 2017 Mar 11]. https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?pid=ACS_10_1YR_S0201&prodType=table
- 21.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. High school youth risk behavioral survey data results [Internet]. 2011. http://apps.nccd.cdc.gov/youthonline/App/Default.aspx
- 22.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Suicide 2015 [Internet]. 2015. www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/pdf/suicide-datasheet-a.pdf
- 23.Hansen-Mitchell D. Preventing native youth suicide: #WeNeedYouHere Campaign Spreads Love and Help. Verona: Indian Country Media Network.Google Scholar
- 25.Rushing S. Using technology to promote health and wellbeing among American Indian and Alaska Native teens and young adults. In: Dyson L, Grant S, Hendriks M, editors. Indigenous people and mobile technologies. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- 27.beyondblue. Who we are and what we do [Internet] [cited 2017 Mar 10]. https://www.beyondblue.org.au/about-us/who-we-are-and-what-we-do
- 28.beyondblue. Home [Internet] [cited 2017 Mar 10]. https://www.youthbeyondblue.com
- 30.MindMatters. MindMatters Live Stats [Internet]. MindMatters Live Stats [cited 2017 Jun 28]. https://www.mindmatters.edu.au/about-mindmatters/live-stats