Long-Term Multi-objective Task Scheduling with Diff-Serv in Hybrid Clouds
With the speedy development of E-commerce, requests over the internet from intensive users are soaring, especially in global online shopping festivals. In order to meet the increasing demands of temporary capacity and reduce daily expenses, hybrid clouds are often used, and the task scheduling problem with multi-objectives is further investigated. In this paper, we firstly build a differentiated-service (Diff-Serv) task scheduling model, and formulate a dynamic programming problem, where the state space is too large to be solved by exhaustive iterations. Therefore, we carefully design the value approximation function, and with reference to the reinforcement learning theory, we put forward an approximate dynamic programming (ADP) algorithm so as to conduct the long-term optimization for performance benefit, energy and rental costs. Furthermore, both scheduling quality and scheduling speed are taken into consideration in this algorithm. Experiments with both random synthetic workloads and Google cloud trace-logs are conducted to evaluate the proposed algorithm, and results demonstrate that our algorithm is effective and efficient, especially under bursty requests.
KeywordsMulti-objective optimization Hybrid cloud Task scheduling Approximate dynamic programming (ADP)
This work is supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 61472199 and No. 61370132).
- 1.Amazon_Web_Services: Aws auto scaling user guide. http://docs.aws.amazon.com/autoscaling/latest/userguide/as-dg.pdf
- 2.Calheiros, R.N., Buyya, R.: Cost-effective provisioning and scheduling of deadline-constrained applications in hybrid clouds (2012)Google Scholar
- 3.Google: Cloud trace-logs. http://code.google.com/p/googleclusterdata/wiki
- 4.Internetwatch: online-shopping. https://www.chinainternetwatch.com/19280/singles-day-top-categories-2016/
- 5.Moreno, I.S., Garraghan, P., Townend, P., Xu, J.: An approach for characterizing workloads in Google cloud to derive realistic resource utilization models. In: IEEE Seventh International Symposium on Service-Oriented System Engineering, pp. 49–60 (2013)Google Scholar
- 6.Niu, Y., Luo, B., Liu, F., Liu, J.: When hybrid cloud meets flash crowd: towards cost-effective service provisioning. In: IEEE INFOCOM 2015 - IEEE Conference on Computer Communications, pp. 1044–1052 (2015)Google Scholar
- 7.Ousterhout, K., Wendell, P., Zaharia, M., Stoica, I.: Sparrow: distributed, low latency scheduling. In: Twenty-Fourth ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles, pp. 69–84 (2013)Google Scholar
- 12.Ruben, V.D.B., Vanmechelen, K., Broeckhove, J.: Cost-efficient scheduling heuristics for deadline constrained workloads on hybrid clouds. In: IEEE Third International Conference on Cloud Computing Technology and Science, pp. 320–327 (2011)Google Scholar
- 14.Wikipedia: Cloud computing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing#hybrid_cloud
- 15.Wikipedia: Opportunity_cost. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opportunity_cost
- 16.WiseGEEK: What are the different types of network services? http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-the-different-types-of-network-services.htm