Exploring Design Alternatives for RAMP Transactions Through Statistical Model Checking
Arriving at a mature distributed system design through implementation and experimental validation is a labor-intensive task. This limits the number of design alternatives that can be explored in practice. In this work we use formal modeling with probabilistic rewrite rules and statistical model checking to explore and extend the design space of the RAMP (Read Atomic Multi-Partition) transaction system for large-scale partitioned data stores. Specifically, we formally model in Maude eight RAMP designs, only two of which were previously implemented and evaluated by the RAMP developers; and we analyze their key consistency and performance properties by statistical model checking. Our results: (i) are consistent with the experimental evaluations of the two implemented designs; (ii) are also consistent with conjectures made by the RAMP developers for other unimplemented designs; and (iii) uncover some promising new designs that seem attractive for some applications.
We thank the anonymous reviewers for helpful comments on a previous version of this paper. This work was partially supported by NSF CNS 1409416, AFOSR/AFRL FA8750-11-2-0084, and NSF CNS 1319527.
- 2.Uppaal SMC. http://people.cs.aau.dk/adavid/smc/
- 5.Bailis, P., Fekete, A., Ghodsi, A., Hellerstein, J.M., Stoica, I.: Scalable atomic visibility with RAMP transactions. ACM Trans. Database Syst. 41(3) (2016)Google Scholar
- 6.Bailis, P., Fekete, A., Hellerstein, J.M., Ghodsi, A., Stoica, I.: Scalable atomic visibility with RAMP transactions. In: Proceedings SIGMOD 2014. ACM (2014)Google Scholar
- 8.Benson, T., Akella, A., Maltz, D.A.: Network traffic characteristics of data centers in the wild. In: IMC, pp. 267–280 (2010)Google Scholar
- 13.Liu, S., Ganhotra, J., Rahman, M., Nguyen, S., Gupta, I., Meseguer, J.: Quantitative analysis of consistency in NoSQL key-value stores. Leibniz Trans. Embed. Syst. 4(1), 031–0326 (2017)Google Scholar
- 14.Liu, S., Ölveczky, P.C., Ganhotra, J., Gupta, I., Meseguer, J.: Exploring design alternatives for RAMP transactions through statistical model checking. Technical report (2017). https://sites.google.com/site/siliunobi/ramp-smc
- 15.Liu, S., Ölveczky, P.C., Rahman, M.R., Ganhotra, J., Gupta, I., Meseguer, J.: Formal modeling and analysis of RAMP transaction systems. In: SAC. ACM (2016)Google Scholar
- 19.Sen, K., Viswanathan, M., Agha, G.A.: VESTA: a statistical model-checker and analyzer for probabilistic systems. In: QEST 2005. IEEE Computer Society (2005)Google Scholar