The Oratory of Sarah Palin
Sarah Palin is an ambivalent figure of American conservatism. This chapter attends to her rhetoric and oratory and proposes that we can understand Palin as a celebrity politician who played a significant role in the popularisation of the strand of conservatism that is known as ‘common sense’. The chapter identifies four topics as the key elements that participated in the construction of Palin’s commonsensical ethos: frontier authenticity, motherhood, conservative feminism, and anti-elitism. The chapter also analyses one of Palin’s most understudied speeches and demonstrates how Palin sought to utilise her visibility to champion common sense conservatism and ultimately its core tenet, unregulated market capitalism.
- Alloway, T. 2009. So Mrs Palin, Tell Us What You Know About East Asian Finance. Financial Times, September 1.Google Scholar
- Aristotle. 2001. The Art of Rhetoric. London: Penguin Classics.Google Scholar
- Baxter, S. 2008. Sarah Palin: Conservatives Find the Girl of Their Dreams. The Sunday Times, August 31.Google Scholar
- Beail, L., and R.K. Longworth. 2013. Framing Sarah Palin: Pitbulls, Puritans, and Politics. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Bullock, C. 2012. Key States, High Stakes; Sarah Palin, the Tea Party and the 2010 Elections. Lanham: Rowman and Littlefield.Google Scholar
- CBS News. 2008. Giuliani: Palin More Qualified Than Obama. CBS News, August 31. Available from http://www.cbsnews.com/news/giuliani-palin-more-qualified-than-obama/.
- CFACT. 2016. Climate Hustle Goes to Washington: Skeptical Film to Premiere on Capitol Hill; Will Include Riveting Panel with Gov. Sarah Palin and Other Guests. CFACT, March 31. Available from http://1l6sl7237n5w2xqj2v29xy7q.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Panel-Press-Release-Final-3-31-16.pdf.
- Daily News. 2008. A Maverick’s Maverick. Daily News, August 29. Available from http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/maverick-maverick-article-1.318869.
- Dombrink, J. 2015. The Twilight of Social Conservatism: American Culture Wars in the Obama Era. New York: New York University Press.Google Scholar
- Ferguson, K. 2009. Bush in Drag: Sarah Palin and Endless War. Borderlands 8 (3): 1–28.Google Scholar
- Fernando, V. 2009. Hong Kong Broker Pulling a “Borat” on Sarah Palin. Business Insider, September 1.Google Scholar
- Fisher, M. 2008. For Working Moms, “Flawed” Palin is the Perfect Choice. Washington Post, September 11.Google Scholar
- Gibson, C. 2008. Transcript: Interview of GOP Vice Presidential Candidate Sarah Palin. ABC News, November 23. Available from http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Vote2008/full-transcript-gibson-interviews-sarah-palin/story?id=9159105.
- Gidlow, L. 2011. Obama, Clinton, Palin: Making History in Election 2008. Urbana/Chicago: University of Illinois Press.Google Scholar
- Hofstadter, R. 1963. Anti-Intellectualism in American Life. New York: Vintage Books.Google Scholar
- Kennedy, G. 1994. A New History of Classical Rhetoric. Princeton: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Klein, J. 2010. It’s Her Party: The Brilliance of Sarah Palin. TIME, February 11.Google Scholar
- Kucinich, J. 2016. Sarah Palin’s PAC Is Up to Its Old Money Tricks. The Daily Beast, January 25. Available from http://www.thedailybeast.com/sarah-palins-pac-is-up-to-its-old-money-tricks.
- Martin, J. 2013. Politics and Rhetoric: A Critical Introduction. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- McCain, J. 2008. Presidential Nomination Acceptance Speech, September 4. Available from: https://www.nytimes.com/elections/2008/president/conventions/videos/transcripts/20080904_MCCAIN_SPEECH.html.
- Melling, S. 2013. Constituting the 21st Century Small Town: Sarah Palin’s 2008 RNC Speech. Ohio Communication Journal 51: 125–140.Google Scholar
- Newport, F. 2008. Palin Unknown to Most Americans. Gallup, August 30.Google Scholar
- Palin, S. 2008a. Transcript: Republican Vice Presidential Nomination Acceptance Speech, September 3. Available from http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/convention2008/sarahpalin2008rnc.htm.
- ———. 2008b. Transcript: The Vice-Presidential Debate, October 2. Available from http://elections.nytimes.com/2008/president/debates/transcripts/vice-presidential-debate.html.
- ———. 2009. Transcript: Common Sense Conservatism, September 24. Available from http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2347807/posts.
- ———. 2010a. Transcript: Susan B. Anthony List’s “Celebration of Life” Breakfast, May 14. Available from http://www.p2012.org/photos10/palin051410spt.html.
- ———. 2010b. Going Rogue: An American Life. New York: Harper Collins.Google Scholar
- ———. 2010c. Transcript: Tea Party Speech, September 21. Available from http://www.politico.com/story/2010/09/palin-pac-tea-party-is-the-future-042488.
- Rodino-Colocina, M. 2012. Man Up, Woman Down: Mama Grizzlies and Anti-feminist Feminism During the Year of the (Conservative) Woman and Beyond. Women and Language 35 (1): 79–96.Google Scholar
- Spillius, A. 2010. The “Mama Grizzlies” Running for Office. The Telegraph, August 29.Google Scholar
- Sullivan, S. 2014. Sarah Palin Is a Celebritician. But Her Endorsement Can Still Matter. The Washington Post, March 13.Google Scholar
- Tharoon, I. 2009. What Sarah Palin Said in Her Hong Kong Speech. TIME, September 23.Google Scholar
- Tyrrell Emmett, R., Jr. 2013. Sarah Palin’s Rack. American Spectator, May 11.Google Scholar
- Vogel, K.P. 2010. Face of the Tea Party Is Female. Politico, March 26.Google Scholar