LTE System Design for Urban Light Rail Transport
This paper deals with the performance of LTE-A (Long Term Evolution-Advanced) cellular networks for supporting operational, safety-critical signaling, and standard IT services for urban transportation. Our interests have been focused on Light Rail Transit (LRT) signaling performance for the Songjiang (China) tramway project. Several stationary and mobility use cases have been considered and mean end-to-end delay and Packet Loss Rate (PLR) key performance indicators have been evaluated. Simulation results highlight that, in stationary conditions, LRT signaling performance requirements are fulfilled, while PLR performance degrades when mobility is introduced. Furthermore, we have evaluated the impact of non-critical IT traffic (e.g., UDP-based video) on TCP-based signaling by demonstrating that signaling throughput is not affected by video in stationary scenarios, whereas, in the presence of mobility, handovers degrade signaling performance, which can be guaranteed only if a QoS-aware scheduler is adopted. In conclusions, our results demonstrate that LTE-A can safely support operative and non-critical applications in urban transportation scenarios, where strong connectivity requirements are crucial.
KeywordsLight rail transit Safety-critical signaling LTE
- 1.Bertout, A., Bernard, E.: Next generation of railways and metros wireless communication systems. In: Proceedings of IRSE ASPECT (2012)Google Scholar
- 2.Sniady, A., Soler, J.: Performance of LTE in high speed railway scenarios. In: Berbineau, M., Jonsson, M., Bonnin, J.-M., Cherkaoui, S., Aguado, M., Rico-Garcia, C., Ghannoum, H., Mehmood, R., Vinel, A. (eds.) Nets4Cars/Nets4Trains 2013. LNCS, vol. 7865, pp. 211–222. Springer, Heidelberg (2013). doi: 10.1007/978-3-642-37974-1_17 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Thales: LRT & Tramway Solution for Optimised Operations and Maintenance. https://www.thalesgroup.com/sites/default/files/asset/document/lrt_tramway_brochure_ld_0.pdf
- 6.Sniady, A., Soler, J.: An overview of GSM-R technology and its shortcomings. In: Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on ITS Telecommunications (2012)Google Scholar
- 11.Racz, A., Temesvary, A., Reider, N.: Handover Performance in 3GPP Long Term Evolution (LTE) Systems. In: Proceedings of Mobile and Wireless Communications Summit (2007)Google Scholar